THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: G33/40 7X57 Inproved and feeding, etc.
 Login/Join

<eldeguello>
posted
HUH!! I guess they really aren't the same, after all!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it depends on which book you read as to whether they are the same or not!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

If a customer wants a compass in the stock, put a piece of magnetic strip under it.

With some luck you won't see them again, nor will search/rescue.

(Of course if someone brings you a Daisy Red Ryder you MUST inlay a compass...)

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chick, and for others who care, West of you perhaps 30 miles
is the manufactuory of L.E.Wilson -Home of the Wilson Ctg case headspace gage among other neat tools. If you have some sample rounds of .275 Rigby and current foreign and domestic 7 x 57 rounds you can determine the answer to the puzzle rather quickly and not even be required to buy the gage, though all ought to own one if they have the 7 x 57. Now, old "Sam" made more than just 30-06 headspace gages for the US Govt. They at Wilson would of course have them to make certain their ctg gages were on spec. Some of the published dimensions I have encountered over the years seem to have been taken from samples using a brand new Hardware store freebie wooden yard stick and a school supply plastic protractor to determine the shoulder angle. Dave Manley told me that the dimensions on the SAAMI sheet for the 7x57 which I noticed had changed from my reference was based on the submitted latest factory figures for newly made rifles. In this case Ruger. I didn't like the throat or neck and had him use the CIP dimensions for that. Why?, Foreign necks could be much thicker. Some poor hunter with one of mine might have to use substitute foreign ammo, be a helluva note if he couldn't chamber it. There are considerable variations in the 7x 57, but they are manageable. This first came up when the M21 and 22 CZ Brnos hit the market. Those foreign chambers"weren't the same as in my WinM 54 ( or70)" . This required a trip to Sam's place. Next a search by the Winchester"Missionary" at the factory. Winchester had the records from US Ctg company and available sample rounds from back in the days when U.S.Ctg. had military contracts for the 7x 57 ammo to include Serbia and various South American countries. Answer was that the chamber for the 7x 57 was based ( for the 54 & 70) on what would chamber world wide from available reasonably close ammo. Some countries rolled their own and rather indifferently. I personally rely on Brit Rules of proof and or C.I.P Dimensions often checked against Kenny Howells Epic and simply ignore the rest. The ctg case length/headspace gage will determine usability of cases with differences of 1/2 or 3/4 minutes of shoulder angle relative to difficult to determine length measurements to the center of shoulder radius and shoulder to neck radius.
I yet contend that the .275 Rigby HV and the 7x57 are "Sisters Under the Skin" to quote a line from an old barracks ditty. This has been sent at the insistance of Dago Red.

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic:

Will the compass be inlaid or gimballed? I ASSUME that the stock will be a classic blond maple as well.....(no, no, no, don't go there...)

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Tom

Many thanks for your clarification in this matter. I certainly appreciate it. As one who is not as old as yourself by a fair measure, and far short of your knowledge of these things it is always good to hear answers from someone as knowledgable as yourself. To me it matters little who was right or wrong, if anybody even actually was here, but it always will end in a winning situation to get knowledge like yours put on the table. Thanks again for what you shared on the matter. It was great stuff, and I have filed it away with other tidbits of very worthwhile info I have collected over the years.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Tom, thank's for your great and thorough answers. As always, I am amazed at your tremendous depth of knowlege...

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howard,
Once a seed of doubt is planted you sure are in trouble. How about a .300 WSM with a plastic stock and a 6x18x 56 mm scope?

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok I have a couple of questions. I am strongly leaning towards a 270 for this rifle. The barrel will be a cut rifle barrel in half round half octagon. How long should it be? I am leaning towards 22 inches.

Secondly what must be done to a G33/40, exactly to make it feed perfectly?

Posts: 2340 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, thanks for posting that. I never doubted what you said after the first post. I do enjoy your writing and I sometimes get lost trying to follow but the side trails are always interesting. I know Wilsons well, they have a lot of my money.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is an example of a point mentioned earlier. The cartridge on the left is a 7x64 with a 175 gr Hornady RN. it fits in an unmodified G33/40 with a little room to spare. The center cartridge is a 7x57 loaded with the same bullet. Note how much magazine space is wasted with this short cartridge in a long action. The cartridge on the right is an 8x57 with a 250 gr Woodleigh at max OAL. Note how much wider and further the shoulder is over the 7x57.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the 7x64 is basicly a 280

I am going to stick with a available factory round

Posts: 2340 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Looks like the 7x64 is basicly a 280

Exactly.
Good luck with the project. Making these decisions is half the fun!

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No No No, I am not sick.

I already have 2 7x57's and someday will have a Mexican Mauser in that caliber. I don't have and have never owned a 270. I think its high time to correct that problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard, I think a .270 would be a great choice. I know it iw rare when you agree with me but you can be right some time.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well you occasionally get it right.

So now some technical info. What is needed to make it a slick feeding and functioning 270?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be surprised if it needs anything. Wait until it is barreled and see how it works. Just checked to see if I have a .270 barrel and I do. It is a Krieger but it is stainless. We are not going through that again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order for that thing to feed right, it should be checked and modified without a barrel first. One should be able to feed from the magazine smoothly without a barrel. Go to the barre lastly.

Howard, I have a Mexican that needs a barrel and a stock; got a couple of nice blanks too!

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Howard,

My 270 on a G33/40 required no work make it feed. Still a good idead to test yours though.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want it to feed ok. I want it to feed properly due to proper design not just because its close enough. I want it to feed the best that it can.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Mine feeds super slow, fast, upside down, blah blah blah.....never touched a thing....but the only way to find out is give it a test.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that the more specialized something becomes; specific length, weight, diameter, etc, the less tolerant that object becomes to deviation of any type, pretty hard to use a corvette as a family vehicle or a semi-truck as a daily commuter.

I keep hearing all kinds of talk about how Mausers have their; magazine length, depth, and width; their feed rails, and followers specifically designed and engineered for a specific cartridge and that its all most carefully thought out to work properly. Some people even say down to use with a specific bullet.

Now I have those same people telling me I can take an action designed, see above, for the 8X57 mauser and rechamber to the 7X57 � see picture in this thread for the differences in those cartridges � or even a 270 and it will work just as well. Sorry but something isn�t adding up here.

<Guest>
posted
Howard

Right up front, so as to avoid any flame wars, I will say I don't know.

But here is a quote from Blackburn's Site. Since they have been making them for 48 years, they must know something!!
I would give them a call and ask their reasons why!.

"CNC Machined out of Solid Steel
To ensure a tolerance of less than .005 inches, we use computer run machines with custom designed proprietary programs and tooling. Blackburn parts are designed specifically for the caliber that the rifle is being built for. Using AutoCad and CadCam software we can determine if the deminsions are correct before actual machining is performed"

www.blackburnmachine.com