New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have parts. Can't decide!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 28 inch Parker-Hale barrel chambered for .308Win. I also have a p17 action with the correct thread. This action is an Eddystone with the "ears" intact. Should I butcher this action for another .308(I have 5 already), or sell both to an interested party for more than I paid, but less than what I think they are worth-$500.00 US dollars.
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No part it out. I only say that because I might be interested in the barrel.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To profit is part of your Right to the pursuit of happiness. I say sell it...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ofcourse if I can find a Parker-Hale action............I think a model 85 is correct. Still debating. What is the action really worth? What kind of monstrous cartridge am I limited to with this action?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on if you have to pay someone to recontour it or if you can do it yourself. Not cheap to pay a smith to do it. Enfields are great for big bores, but it's an eddy so I'd get it magafluxed before I put any serious thought into it.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't your Parker-Hale barrel threaded for a standard 98 Mauser?

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flaco, the barrel is not threaded for 98. Other barrels were and screwed right in and headspaced perfectly. This one has a square thread instead of a v thread and happens to screw in perfectly on my P17. I would need extractor groove cut in face though. This barrel is marked the same proof marks and the same PARKER-HALE LTD as my other barrels were. It is just much(2in)longer and heavier. Chamber is .308Win. It is 4 groove, 1in10 twist, blued, and does not show significant throat erosion. As a matter of fact it doesn't appear to have been fired very much at all. I bought it from a smith I was working with many years ago. We put together several rifles with screw-in-to-98 Parker barrels. All of them shot great with 168 and 178 grain loads. I still have one of them. It needs accessorizing-stock, scope, pillar bedding. Already has Jewel triggerSmiler! I have recently started looking at unfinished projects. If anyone knows of not just a good smith--I want a great smith in or close to Corpus Christi,Texas, please let me know.
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member