Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 stock checkering
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
I plan to sharpen-up the checkering on a mid-70's vintage, Remington 700 stock.
By my count, it has 20lpi spacing. I'm hoping someone here can confirm from experience.

Thanks,
Jason

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a single line V checkering head and do one line at a time. The recutting is not cut with a spacer tool.

I can tell you are inexperienced in checkering and would need some more help. Get a light to throw a shadow in the line and then you can see what you are trying to cut. A checkering cradle will help to hold the stock, could be nothing but a 2X4 and a couple of ends to turn the stock. Practice first

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Les said and like to add ,if any of the original hard hi gloss finish is remaining it'll dull the cutter fast than you think . Keep the cutter clean and sharp .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this stock has the impressed checkering and you are trying to recut this, here is what I do. Recut a line and skip a line and then cut another line thru out the pattern. This will let you see the lines. Go back and cut the lines between. I usually strip the old checkering and clear the dirt from the design. Use caution with the chemical striper. I have carbide cutters and can resharpen these if needed with diamond steel.

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight!

Should the single line V cutter be a particular angle head ? 90°, 60°?

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use 90 * it will take less depth and time. You didn't say whether this is the impressed or regular cut lines.

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
The stock I'm working on has regular cut lines.

One other question...any idea why checkering tools becoming so scarce and expensive?!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Triple 4,
Are you sure it has cut checkering? just curous but Id be real sure before I started..I don't think Rem. 700s have cut checkering, but maybe I missed something since I don't use Rem guns much...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple4:
The stock I'm working on has regular cut lines.

One other question...any idea why checkering tools becoming so scarce and expensive?!

Apparently they are made of unobtanium now, it took me forever last year to find some tools. Gunline has the most in stock.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Triple 4,
Are you sure it has cut checkering? just curous but Id be real sure before I started..I don't think Rem. 700s have cut checkering, but maybe I missed something since I don't use Rem guns much...

No sir. I'm not sure it's cut checkering. I've seen some obvious Remington pressed checkering and I didn't think this stock was that. I believe it's a mid-70's vintage stock. I've attached a link with a couple pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/VwxJa

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

It's cut checkering. Press checkering started the year the 700 came out, about 1962 and lasted until 1974 or 1975 when they started doing cut checkering on the BDL. About mid 1980s they went to cut checkering on the ADL as well.

If I had to guess as to why checkering equipment is getting hard to find, I would say that the demand for it has more or less crashed since the advent of the synthetic stock. People buying semi inlets and making stocks in their basements just isn't a big hobby thing anymore. Everyone wants TactiCool and cheap. Or TactiCool and really expensive. As long as it's TactiCool.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I managed to find a couple Gunline handles and 90° v-edger checkering heads on Brownells. Hopefully enough to get me thru this little restoration project.