New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kel-Tec SUB 2000
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone out there ever take one of these apart? I have one in the shop with a 14+ Lb. trigger the customer would like smoothed and lightened to something more fingertip-friendly. The manual gives the usual warning about special tools and factory training, etc. but I hoping that I am not the first to ignore the disclaimer.
Thanks, Mike

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can figure out how to do a trigger job on any gun, but semi autos have a disconnecter, and getting them below 4.5 pounds is like getting a repeater below 2 pounds.

Another problem is that if the rifle doubles, you committed a felony.

That said, start looking at modifying the sear-hammer angle of engagement, smoothness of engagement, and length of engagement. Start looking at modifying or replacing the springs resisting trigger pull. Consider a trigger shape that meets the finger further from the fulcrum [like a straight trigger].

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm well aware of the liability issues and have the skills and experience from 100's of trigger jobs. The problem with the SUB2000 is the design includes what appears to be a pressed or swaged collar that goes around the action spring tube (stock) that captures both sides of the "reciever" where the bolt enters the back of the reciever. The "receiver" is comprised of two plastic castings, vertically split, held together with screws. The owner manual says the internals are not accessible. I know from experience that statement is usually from the lawyers and not necessarily going to keep a good gunsmith from figuring out how to service the "not field serviceable, must be returned to the factory". While not afraid to run point, I have no shame following someone else's lead. If the customer gives me the OK to proceed knowing this could result in a small pile of useless junk, I will share the results.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try www.1bad69.com/keltec/index.htm. click on SUB 2000 it' on the bottom right. good luck. Bob

Posts: 36 | Location: Chula Vista Ca. | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnum thanks! That is precisely what I need.
Mike

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SUCCESS!! Using the teardown info, thanks to Bob, I managed to take the trigger pull from a looooong, gritty, over 15 Lb. to a smooth 8 Lbs. The sear and hammer needed serious stoning to remove casting irregularities. I left all the springs original. Though I'm sure I could get the pull much lower by working the springs, the customer uses this for home protection and I leaned toward reliability vs comfort.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Sorry, it has no disconnector, it looks like a double action only striker system.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trigger bar is also the disconnector. Pulling the trigger moves the bar forward pulling the sear from under the hammer contact allowing the hammer to fall and strike the rebounding firing pin. All in all, it is a simple, rugged design. While the frame is plastic, all the stress points are metal. Getting the mag release to stay in place while trying to get the frame halves back together was a PITA until I figured out how to hold it together with one hand while seating the right frame to the left.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith