New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handy new toy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was at my machine shop supply store today and picked up a little mini-tachometer that measures in ft/min, yd/min, m/min and RPM. Pretty slick when setting cutting speeds for different diameter material and checking your machines to see if the stated speed matches up with the actual one.

They come in either a contact model or a non contact version that uses a light beam and reflective tape.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Sounds neat. Who makes it and what's it called?

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Sounds neat. Who makes it and what's it called?

I’m sorry, I should have mentioned that in the post.

The one I bought is made by ExTech and it’s called the Pocket Tach, model # 2188 7272 (the contact model). I paid $129.00 for it, and it’s about the size of a large cell phone and runs on a 9 volt battery.

The non-contact model is #2188 7270 and has a maximum operating distance of 6 inches from the work piece...and for some strange reason sells for the same price.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick:

Am reading old posts and ran across this one.

Back in the late 70's on the job they had a contact type with a rubber button on the end of a shaft connected to a dial.

Just press the button to the center of what ever's spinning and it's a direct read. Really slick.

I have no idea where, or who, or the cost. Just that we used it on various machinery and motors, pulley's etc.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5961 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Rick:

Back in the late 70's on the job they had a contact type with a rubber button on the end of a shaft connected to a dial.

Just press the button to the center of what ever's spinning and it's a direct read. Really slick.

I have no idea where, or who, or the cost. Just that we used it on various machinery and motors, pulley's etc.

George

I have one like this. Made in Switzerland and has a wide selection of rpm ranges. Also has an assortment of tips including some that contact the o.d. of item being tested. Fitted case, of course.
Was a gift from an old guy and I don't recall ever using it but it is a neat tool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid 70's when I worked at an auto parts store we used to sell one with the rubber tip on the end. Just press it against your rotating object and you had rpm. Main thing it was sold for than was power take off shafts on farm machinery to get proper engine rpm for 540 or 1000 rpm pto shafts. Don't recall parameters it would test but at least 1000rpm on high side. It was made by Stewart Warner.

Posts: 104 | Location: SD | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote