New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Idea for Mini Mauser bolts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One of the problems for the mini action is the bolt binds up. I am thinking of building up one more little rifle for myself. My question is has anyone tried to make a bolt guide like the 98's? I believe that I can make it work.

I have a Kreiger barrel in a 20 cal in sporter weight which I won a couple of years ago at the TSJC 60th get together. I bought a good English blank from Charles Grace. I need someone to chamber it for the 20 Tactical as I can't do the work any more.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried it. But it should work OK.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt binds because it's short? There are a few small actions around, how do they get around the problem? Ever seen a cooper M-38 up close? Isn't a CZ 527 pretty small? I've been thinking about a mini action build, but there are not too many of them around, nor good information. I'd be curious to hear about your projects.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found that the Mini Mark X isn't particularly smooth, but I've had no real problems with bolt binding on the four or so I've owned. Let's say you could retrofit with some kind of a different bolt guide. By the time you've done that, you will have as much in your Mini Mark X as you would in a Sako L461. Why not just start out first class instead of spending a lot of time and money to own what will always be a lesser gun?

By the way, there is a desperate shortage of good ".222"-size bolt actions. Who wants a .223 or a .17 Fireball built on an action large enough to house a .325 WSM?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meekly suggest some lapping compound, shouldn't take much. I'd use the garnet type and begin with a few strokes using 600 or 800 grit, then progress to either finer or coarser depending on the resulting surface finish. I've never examined a mini Mauser but suspect that the binding may be alleviated by the lapping. It's worked absolute wonders on the full-size actions I've done, almost as smooth as a Krag.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fitted my first mini mauser bolt shroud with the 2 position safety 21 years ago. It has made a difference on how these actions appear as a classic designed gun. Stock shape appears better to my eye than a plain factory style. It can be helped by lapping the action, but that doesn't address the problem of binding.

Sako's are a good action, but again the shape of the stock isn't too appealing. I have made several stocks for these actions in the modern style.

Gunmaker has made some improvements on the mini mauser and there is still room for improvement. I hope to create some interest along my thoughts.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm alway's interested in any idea that makes a good product even better.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote