New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brake vs Accuracy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just returned from the range after having a Vais Muzzle Brake installed and a trigger job done on my Vanguard/Howa. The accuracy was horrible. I was shooting PMC ammo which usually doesn't shoot the best but never like today. I was basically spraying bullets all over the target. Any thoughts? It looks from the outside that the break was properly installed but I haven't looked at the rifling. I am going to thoroughly clean it and go back to the range with premium ammo.

Thanks,

H4L

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The ID of the brake is touching the bullet or the ID is NOT concentric with the bore.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
The ID of the brake is touching the bullet or the ID is NOT concentric with the bore.

Yep, Inspect the brake and I'll bet that you find that the either the bullet is touching one side as it comes out or the gases are coming out unevenly. If you have a tight fitting rod see if it is directly in the center of the brake's bore.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or maybe whoever installed it also dinged your crown.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a bit off topic, but....

Awhile back I posted something about a new ultra high speed digital camera.

Last night the National Geographic channel had a special on Bullets, and some of the footage they used was shot with these high speed cameras.

One of the first things you really notice when watching ultra slow motion of a bullet leaving the barrel of a weapon is the huge blast of gas that comes out just ahead of the bullet. Obviously, this is that portion of expanding gas that passes the bullet prior to the bullet filing the lands and grooves and creating a seal.

If the gas ahead of the bullet is being vented/redirected (read that as slowed down) by a muzzle brake it could have a huge effect on the turbulance that the bullet has to pass through as it leaves the barrel.

I’m sure that the manufacturers of muzzle breaks have factored that into the design, but any slight change in the interior ballistics could throw their design off and cause accuracy problems.

This is all speculation on my part but it is based on common sense and watching the gas that proceeds the bullet and seeing how it varies from weapon to weapon...and even from shot to shot sometimes.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote