THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blued barrel with in the white receiver?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm still mostly in the planning phase of my 404J sporter. The only part I have so far is a nice 1937 portuguese contract Oberndorf receiver.

I'm just thinking of finishes - I was planning on rust bluing, but also kind of like the south american style of a blue barrel with the receiver left in the white. Have any sporters been made like this? Would it look wrong (bling)? Why did the south americans do this?

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look on Roger Vardy's website, there are a couple done by two Aussie masters, Damien Connelly and the late Jeff Wilkins. Also James Anderson Ruger No.1.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brnomauser:
I'm still mostly in the planning phase of my 404J sporter. The only part I have so far is a nice 1937 portuguese contract Oberndorf receiver.

I'm just thinking of finishes - I was planning on rust bluing, but also kind of like the south american style of a blue barrel with the receiver left in the white. Have any sporters been made like this? Would it look wrong (bling)? Why did the south americans do this?

I think the SAs had a thing for bling.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wasn't just the South Americans; all German Gewehr 98s, 88s, 71s and 71/84s originally had bright receivers. The SA contracts just ordered what was already the fashion in Germany. I would have the receiver electroless nickeled to keep it from rusting on your rainy trip to Alaska. It would not look wrong if it looks right to you.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, wasn't aware it was standard for that period of german rifles. I just can't decide whether it's a good look for a classic sporter or not.

I've been looking at Roger Vardy's site and can't find any pictures of rifles, only stocks. Does he have a completed section?

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brnomauser:
Thanks guys, wasn't aware it was standard for that period of german rifles. I just can't decide whether it's a good look for a classic sporter or not.

I've been looking at Roger Vardy's site and can't find any pictures of rifles, only stocks. Does he have a completed section?

Brno, click on the photos top right that keep changing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way I like the idea, besides, if you get sick of it sometime down the track just blue it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh wow those are very sweet, thanks for the links! Not sure I'll pursue the engraving but the two tone looks fantastic. Reckon I'll store that idea for the end. And as Metal says if it looks wrong I'll just blue it anyway

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I would almost bet that someone in Aussie-land offers a licensed or unlicensed version of Robbie Barkman's Robar NP3 finish. It is a subdued frosty gray very similar to the appearance of some of Ruger's M77.22V rifles come with. It looks spendid with a blue barrel and provides very, very good rust protection.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote