New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle for testing Sierra bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Noticed so many of the cartridges in Edition V of Sierra Bullet's Reloading Manual were tested in a Savage rifle including the 22 BR, 22 PPC, 22/250 Ackley, 6mm Ackley, 25/06 Ackley, 7mm BR, 7mm STW, 300 RUM, 375 RUM, etc.

Wondered if they were using the Savage barrel nut system and using a swap barrel approach.

Called them today and talked to the folks who did the manual.

They said "Absolutely!".

They thought it was the neatest trick and wondered why no one had thought of it before.

Asked about the accuracy compared to their previous approach. They said accuracy was much better with the Savage system. Their test barrels were a mix of Savage factory and custom benchrest grade barrels -- all using the Savage barrel nut.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer, that is interesting. I have been fascinated with takedown and swap barrel rigs recently. Your post makes me wonder about the details of the Savage system--I wonder if it could be applied ot other rifles/actions and barrels.

It sounds like the barrel part is do-able based on your post, so I wonder what else has to happen to an action to incorporate this system.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish30114,

Have had three Remington 700 actions converted to use the Savage nut system.

Pac-Nor Barrel made the nut to fit the Remington threads. Pac-Nor can also supply barrels.

Only modification to the action was to weld the recoil lug in place so it would not turn during barrel removal and installation.

Stock was opened a little in front of the recoil lug to allow the barrel nut.

The same can be done with a Weatherby Mark V and a Montana action.

Don't think it can be done on a Winchester due to the extractor cut in the barrel.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn it Hammer, now I have to start another project! That sounds too interesting! Thanks for the info. I'll be noodling on the parameters while sitting in a tree with a stick and a string this weekend.

Opening day of archery season tomorrow AM in Georgia!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote