Find
Notify
Tools

Shilen or Krieger
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
Is one barrel maker better than the other?

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
I have 3ea Kriegers 7mm RM,338 WM,375 H&H all shoot 5/8'' or better with factory ammo.
1ea Shilen 338 WM that will shoot 3/4 or less with factory ammo. All were chambered by Mark Penrod.
If you want ss barrell I would go with Shilen other wise you can't go wrong with Krieger.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Krieger's, 1 Shilen and a Lilja. Can't say any one is truly superior. If stainless is what you are after in reasonable contours Shilen is your best bet!

I am sure you will be happy with any of them as long as you use someone like Mark Penrod, he sure can turn out fine rifles!!

Huntr

If you can read this thank a teacher. If you can read it in english thank a soldier.

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
My Echols-built custom rifles in .300 Win., .338 Win., .375 H&H, and .416 Rem. all wear Kreiger barrels, and all are half-minute rifles with handloaded premium hunting bullets, and even premium factory ammunition. So based on my experience with about a dozen of them so far, Kreiger gets my vote without any hesitation.

I'll also add this: The finest barrel in the world is only as good as its installation. The action, which serves as the foundation of the rifle, must be blueprinted properly or the rifle won't live up to its accuracy potential. Also, throat and lead dimension, chambering, crowning, stress-free scopemounting, and bedding are all critical as well.

There are gunsmiths around who simply ruin everything they touch, and you could hand them what is possibly the finest individual barrel ever produced by Kreiger, Shilen, you name it, and they'd hand you back a three-inch rifle.

Choose your barrel with care, but choose your riflesmith with even greater care.......

AD

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:

Choose your barrel with care, but choose your riflesmith with even greater care.......

AD

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote