New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 Accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just acquired a #1V in .220 Swift. Shoots well mostly but getting some fliers. At 100 yards I might get the first two touching and the third an inch or so above. Any known problems to be aware of?

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There has been volumes written about improving the accuracy of your rifle and a search on this site will bring up some of the suggestions, ideas, etc. Not long ago built a No.1 w/ 1-7 twist for 22-250 for heavy bullets, 80 and 90 gr.and all I did was to relieve the barrel channel a bit so as not to touch barrel, placed small shim stock spacer at front of hanger area, a pressure point if you will, and rifle shoots a very near two inch group of 5 rnds. at 200yds. or a minute of angle. The forearm screw is at an angle and goes into a drum and that is where I am talking about a shim. Some replace the trigger with aftermarket, but this one has a good trigger on it so no problem there. Rifle was built to shoot targets at 200-1000yds and looking to keep them in the 10 or X ring from sling/prone position. In my case any errant shots are more than likely my fault, not the rifle.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote