New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ask the Pros - M98 feed problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Parker-Hale commercial type 98 Mauser action (or very close)in 243 Win. Having feeding problems - I bought it used. Cartridge binds when case head slides into the bolt face as the back end rises from the magazine - body of case is on the feed ramp when it binds. Does not appear to be binding of the case or bullet going into the chamber. Leaving bright marks on the case head - from only feeding. If I push the bolt firmly it feeds. yes - I am using Dummy cartridges.

I tried several bolts from my other 98 type actions - one feed well. Got to comparing the two bolts and it looks like the problem is the extractor to me. Not enough room between the bolt face and the extractor hook to clear the case rim. Actually snaps the extractor out a little when placing the cartridge in the bolt by hand.

One other observation. The extractor that works well appears to have less spring tension than the others when being installed.

I only tried to hand feed one other 98 and the catridge slides in easily.

Am I on the right tack? What to do to fix it? Can I grind some of the inside of the hook away with a Dremel tool and fix it.

Any help appreciated.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
trigger---

Trying to figure out feeding problems on the internet is like shooting pheasants by telephone.....but I'll try. [Smile]

First-- A Parker Hale 243 should have a blocked magazine box and an aluminum follower that's wider on the right side than normal. If you don't have that it will probably help to change it to that configuration. The follower was rounded, too. I'd bet a short M-77 follower would work......

It sounds like the base of the cartridge is hanging too long under the feed rail. Does it do the same thing on all rounds? Right, Left, first and last? Or is it different from right to left?

Some shooters forget that Mausers were made to feed 57 mm cartridges. Always feed from the front of the magazine, not the back. The shoulder on the feed rail is the first lateral move of the cartridge and it's important. Look and see where the shoulder step is in the feed rail, (If there is one) . That'll tell you were the cartridge should be located in the magazine.

The best investment a metalsmith can make is a couple M-98 military rifles to study. I suggest a straight rail rifle, like a 1909 and a step rail, like a VZ-24. They work different, but perfectly. There's a lot to learn. [Smile]

Always experiment on the cheapest and most plentiful part. Followers are $10. Extractors are $50, and receivers are $200 and up. Try to understand what a change is going to do before you change anything, then understand why it didn't do it. In that way you can learn what changes to the three major parts does and why.

A properly set-up M-98 extractor does not touch the cartride case at all when the cartridge is seated in the chamber and the bolt locked. It's a hard thing to accomplish and still retain perfect extraction.

Relieve the extractor so that the cartridge on the bolt face can be rotated by fingers, but not fall off when held horizonal. It should "snap" into full engagement with the extractor moving about .015 as it snaps.

You can sometimes tighten a loose extractor by peening the legs of the extractor collar.

If the extractor is too straight (weak) you can *sometimes* reset the spring in it by using a soft lead block as an anvil and tapping the concave side of the extractor with punch that fits the extractor radius and use it to peen the extractor from the collar attachment lug to the rear rim. Unless the extractor has been annealed it will take a set and last for many more years.

Buying a new extractor from Precise Metalsmithing will tighten up the action and is worth the money.

The closer the extractor is to being the same size as the right lug raceway the better, and smoother, and tighter the bolt feels in the action.

Let me know how it goes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack

I appreciate your patience, wisdom, and humor.

You gave me a lot to work on. Gonna take a while.

I have two VZ24's, a Mark X, and Regency(looks like a Mark X to me) and bunch of spare parts to "stare and compare with"
One of the VZ actions has not been modified. The other is slickest action I have,it was worked over by Z-Hat into a 338 Hawk

BTW - There is no block in the magazine to make it shorter in the Parker-Hale.

Will reply again when I check things out.

Thanks again

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote