New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stock style diagrams
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you send me a photo I can tell you if Gowdy made it or at least I think I can...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does anyone have some diagrams of different Classic stock styles.

GSP7....

I've drawn every stock I've made before starting on the wood. I use the technique in Alvin Linden's booklet, supplemented by what I learned in Phil Pilkington's custom stockmaking class.

I use large sheets of freezer paper with drawings of action profiles taped on them. I have action profile drawings for Mausers, Springfields, and Winchester Model 70's. The action profiles are the left side so I can draw the cheek piece on the stock drawing.

There are pictures of this process done by Pilkington in a copy of the 1980 Gun Digest Review of Custom Guns if you procure a copy.

I find it interesting to draw (copy) a design of particular works that intrigue me when I first see pictures of them. It becomes quickly apparent that all good stockwork adheres to the same basic tenants.......if not identical dimensions.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the best I can do useing my scaner. The picture are green cause of bright/contrast adjust.

The bottom of the butt from the toe to the back of the grip cap area is at a sharper angle up , straight line going toward the middle of the wrist instead of the back of the rear trigerguard screw area.
The butt is thin from the back of the grip cap area to the top of the comb. It just looks funky , I have many custom stock pictures and never seen one cut this way.
Almost looks like a small kids .22 stock

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That stock's lines resemble those of a Dakota Arms 76 more than the Goudy rifle in the Hallowell link.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
GSP7....

Is that a Gary Goudy pattern from Great American Gunstocks? I've used a couple of them, and they weren't like yours at all. This is one for a Springfield that I've just filed a bit on the grip to accept the grip cap. The comb nose flutes are a bit extreme for my tastes, but there was ample wood to modify, and the geometry of the grip area was correct. The angle of this pic is deceiving.....the toe line of the stock is correct and intersects the bottom rear tang screw.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/079006.JPG

This was also a Goudy pattern from GAG. Much modified from the original stock, but once again the existing geometry was correct and able to be modified.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/025593.jpg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Grandview ,,,,

Thanks alot for posting your pictures that helps alot. Yea , I like the geometry of your stocks. They told me mine was a goudy. Therest of mine looks like yours.

It looks like mine is some kind of a screw up , looks like my grip cap is cut off to short and the toe line is chopped off about a 1/2, 3/4 ". Im going to send it back for sure now...! Id rather them leave too much wood than my abortion piece.

Did you order yours with the butt cut at 90 degrees to the comb for a recoil bad , or is that how it came?

Look at the butt plate area on mine . what the hell?

Mine is getting returned.

Yours look good.

That round grip tip on yours, Did you have them do that special ?, I think Ill ask for that.

On bottom photo Is that eroupean still cheek piece formed by you or what stock pattern is that manlincher?

What type and grade wood did you get? Did they email 3 pictures of blanks for you to choose from?

Thanks again that realy clears up my delema.

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That round grip tip on yours, Did you have them do that special , I think Ill ask for that. On bottom photo Is that eroupean still cheek piece formed by you or what stock pattern is that manlincher.

The mannlicher was just one of their regular patterns, Rick. The action and butt are identical to their Goudy sporters. I had them machine it from my blank. I formed the round grip and cheek piece. There was ample wood to do that.

GV

one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I bought a GAG Manlicher in carlo, and I wasn't impressed with the shaping of it either. Actually, the exterior of it was cut with enough room that it can still be fixed, but the partial inletting on the top and bottom were about 1/8 inch offset. It will also be going back.

Shane

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grandview ,,, Very nice work..

I like fileing and forming the stock. I cut back the and layd back the nose of the comb about have way of the center of the grip cap on 2 of my boyds and it gives a nice feel and the top of the grip looks longer.

Where did you get your blanks?

Rick

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Shane....
I had the same problem with the mannlicher stock I received.

Rick.....

The mannlicher blank came from Don Cantwell, via my brother...

GV

one of us
posted Hide Post
SCW , did you get one of their bargin supply stocks?

I know what you mean about the top and bottom inleting being of set.

That stock I have the inletting seemed pretty good but the rear tang was too deep . My mauser rear bolt spacer was a good 1/8 longer .

I wonder if the are just returned screw ups

Rick

one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
GV, were you able to make it work with the offset? I'd rather not send it back and get another I don't like.

Rick,
This was the 2nd to the highest grade of carlo they sell, I can't remember how they grade right now.

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SCW I guess you had yours made. I found mine in there already made bargin page and it is #2 fancy also. Nice piece of wood . To bad hey scewed it up.
I wonder if the already made ones are returned stock that were bad.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

GV, were you able to make it work with the offset? I'd rather not send it back and get another I don't like.

Shane....

Yes, I was able to make it work with the offset. Fortunately, I noticed it when I set the barreled action in the stock with headless screws. They would seat at an angle with the original floorplate inletting. I was able to inlet the barreled action first, and then inlet the floorplate to match the screws without gaps. Virtually all of the "scraping" was done on one side, however. I was pretty nervous about it because the stock was machined from my blank.

I would suggest you inlet the action first, and then the floorplate. This is opposite of what I typically do. The exercise will surely drive home the value of knowing where the centerline is....top and bottom.....of a blank. If you work with semi-inlet stocks you are at the mercy of how they were machined.

GV