New
Find
Notify
Tools

gun stock inletting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who doss inletting, and what is the going price? Would like to pick up a piece of wood,but can't spend a bundle on getting it inletted.

Thanks

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/pricing.html

Some charge less, some charge more.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are numerous companies that sell semi-inletted stocks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on if you want to do ANY of the inletting yourself. Like others have stated, there are numerous people that will do a semi-inlet for you, but that final bit of fitting will be as expensive as the initial semi-inlet is. The last one that I had someone else do cost me $250 for the semi-inlet and $500 for the final fitting. That is when I decided I could do the final fitting myself.

Well, it did take Chic telling me three or four times to go get a little patience. Smiler He only had to tell me to step away from the Dremmel tool twice.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish somebody with a CNC mill would sell fully inlet blanks. The semi-inlets done on a duplicator that I have worked with are a PITA to clean up. I recently bought an old Fajen at a gunshow that has never been on a rifle and the inletting is very crisp. I can shape the outside, but I hate inletting...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently fit a Mauser action to a semi-inletted stock. I quit counting the times I put the metal in and out of the wood after reaching 250. Probably went as high as 300 when done but I, and the customer, am pleased with the results.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a part of the reason a stockmaker charges a fair price. A good job takes time. Time is money. What quality are you willing to pay for?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
I wish somebody with a CNC mill would sell fully inlet blanks. The semi-inlets done on a duplicator that I have worked with are a PITA to clean up. I recently bought an old Fajen at a gunshow that has never been on a rifle and the inletting is very crisp. I can shape the outside, but I hate inletting...

Problem is a CNC is Too accurate.
Unless it's a nice custom action like a Dakota, or a PH made on good tooling and made to good tolerances inletting on a CNC for older actions is not going to help the fit any. You might get lucky but without the action in hand I could not inlet a stock from dimensions alone and expect zero hand fitting, unless you like gaps in the wood to metal fit Big Grin

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I was thinking about trying to make a TC Contender stock this winter. Just wanted somebody to get a general pattern layout, and be sure the hole was in the right place at the correct angle.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote