New
Find
Notify
Tools

Release Agent
 Login/Join

posted
Does Hornady One Shot spray resizing lub work
well as a release agent, when using it to glass bed a rifle?
Thank You

one of us
posted Hide Post
Works as good as anything.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I WOULDN'T USE ANY OF THAT !!!.

Mose lubes contain Lanolin USE a paste wax apply two or three coats wiping between coats to insure clean

through coverage . You'll be GLAD you did !!!.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Use Brownell's release agent. It works better than anything else I have tried. It's in a spray so you cover everything. When using wax I always seem to miss a little somewhere. Never have had a problem with Brownell's spray....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnson's paste wax. If you want, it can be thinned down with mineral spirits and brushed on. That way you'll get it into all the nooks, crannies, cracks, and crevices.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used automotive paste wax, Birchwood Casey stock wax, and Brownells blue stuff that they send with the epoxy. I like the liquid wax the best. As Tapper2 said, brush it on, make sure everything is coated and go for it. The Brownells stuff works great but it is a bitch to clean up. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Brownells release agent comes RIGHT off with spray Rem oil and a paper towel. And paste wax comes off easy with spray Rem oil and 4x steel wool.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I ask why anyone is resorting to Steel wool for removing wax from the actions ?.

Removing the wax from a properly prepared waxed action ,after the bedding is completed ,shouldn't

require anything more than either lacquer thinner or paint thinner followed by a light coating of oil

on the metal .

Are some of you applying wax and Leaving the wax on without wiping it off ?.

Like applying paste wax too a vehicle and not buffing it off once the carrier solvents have dried ?.

Wax the action just like a fine Auto and do it # 3 times wiping with a soft dry rag each time .

You can eliminate that steel wool nonsense altogether . archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Automotive paste wax works better than anything I have used.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Being in injection molding I have access to a lot of mold releases But that said I would not glue my action in a stock without something I trusted. The brownells stuff works great. Then there's anything Doc recommends. Other then that use at you own risk

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Johnson's paste wax.
Never had a problem with it and it seems to go on "thinner" than any of the waxy or greasy release agents.

Posts: 715 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I use Minwax Paste Wax, has worked great so far. I rub it on a couple times and don't buff the last coat. Also works great for preventing rust on the rifle.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote