New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACRA-bond becomes Serengeti Stockworks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The more things change - the more they stay the same.

One can always hope. As many know, I started running ACRA-bond after Mel's passing last April. The company had a lot going for it, but was undercapitalized. I made an offer for purchase, and after some negotiation, it was accepted. We closed last week and the big move is on. New space, new tooling, increased capacity. We're rolling ACRA-bond laminates into and under Serengeti Trading, a company we incorporated in mid-2003.

There's always risk in name changes when brand identity is at stake. But somehow Serengeti gets the job done better than ACRAbond Laminates, which always sounded like a flooring company to me.

Mel's lead time usually ran 8-12 (months). We've been telling folks 12-14 weeks, and missing by a little. Our new space will allow us to remove the bottle necks and our goal is 4-6 weeks. Perhaps by mid-spring. One can always hope.

The old phone number will roll over in a day or two. Our website will redirect about the same time. And this is my last post as Rod@Acrabond.

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I wish you good fortune with the new direction. You will be staying in Kalispell? If you can make me some flooring out of English in the price range of Pergo, I'll take the first order.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are staying in Kalispell, over on the west side.

PO Box 9138
2860 Farm to Market Road
Kalispell, MT 59901 (59904 for the PO Box)

406-756-2399/756-0785fax

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I wish you well on your new venture. I admired the way you stepped up to the plate for Mel, that kind of customer service will lead to a successful business.

Good luck,
Joel Babcock

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rod, I wish you the best with the venture. I am sure with your drive and knowledge it will be a success. I would not use Walex as your PR man, lol. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good one, Chic. LOL also.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Rod, keep those stocks rolling, rifles getting built! But most importantly of all, keep on talking to your customers. They'll respond in kind.

Btw, what would be wrong with Walex as PR person??
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
walex don't keep his mouth properly and politically correct shut when someone sells him a defective and shoddily manufactured product. Snide little pricks like Accrabond rod and customstoks seem to take exception to that kind of impertinence. These weaselily people think that when a nice guy like MtnHtr has his money tied up for 8 months, then is shipped a defective product, numerous defects and even a hole in the cast reciever, and then is given no satisfaction in a considerable amount of time and then is given the runaround and double shuffle by the company representative and the owner himself, he should just slink off in a corner and keep the dirty little secret to himself, and heaven forbid don't warn his buddies. Actually the Acrrbond stoks that I've seen were really good looking, and I thought were one heck of a product and would really dress up most of the otherwise beautiful rifles that had some real ugly sticks bolted on to them.

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...Snide little pricks like Accrabond rod and customstoks seem to take exception to that kind of impertinence. These weaselily people ... he should just slink off in a corner and keep the dirty little secret to himself...

Gosh man, don't you ever stop?? You certainly make little pretence about keeping good manners. I guess that is why you find yourself the target of remarks like the ones above. But I doubt you see it that way. Pity, maybe you could learn?

- mike

Edited to say:

P.S. Let's not let Walex take over this thread, my fault for not ignoring him in the first place.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Rod, glad to hear it, if you get a picture up of the new Red Mist stock I'd like to look at it for my (semi-mythical) MRC left handed short sction.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Btw, what would be wrong with Walex as PR person??

Quote:

walex don't keep his mouth properly and politically correct shut when someone sells him a defective and shoddily manufactured product. Snide little pricks like Accrabond rod and customstoks seem to take exception to that kind of impertinence. These weaselily people think that when a nice guy like MtnHtr has his money tied up for 8 months, then is shipped a defective product, numerous defects and even a hole in the cast reciever, and then is given no satisfaction in a considerable amount of time and then is given the runaround and double shuffle by the company representative and the owner himself, he should just slink off in a corner and keep the dirty little secret to himself, and heaven forbid don't warn his buddies. Actually the Acrrbond stoks that I've seen were really good looking, and I thought were one heck of a product and would really dress up most of the otherwise beautiful rifles that had some real ugly sticks bolted on to them.

Well, for one thing, it would be nice to have somebody who is at least somewhat literate as your spokesman.

waleeks, Can yuo pleaze ad a feew mur speling and gramatikal arrows to you're next post next time? I hav a hard time reeding sum uf yur stuf sumtimes wen you misssspell everything and make sentenses run on and on and on and on and on and use bad gramar, but some uther times its ok two cauze wen i try reel hard i can usally figyure out wat you ment to rite even though it aint always easy but then it don't matter nun no how anyway besides, so maybe you might be a ok spokesman afterall but hopefuly not for a gun cumpany anyway at least for now ok?

Look, we understand that you don't like MRC, even though they DID make things right in your instance. What more do they owe you before you'll shut up??

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
He should be thankfull, any other manufacture would have sent him a new action/rifle without a refund option.

For some folks, one bad apple spoils them all.

With that said, I will take a 375 H&H, Dakota, and not type another misspelled word. I promise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary, I am still laughing. Thanks for lightening up my morning.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore,
Geez, I am still laughing so hard I can't stand it!!! Now, just how do I get all of this coffee out of my keyboard??

HUNTR

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I really like the new name! Best wishes for you & your new company.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
What's the URL of the new site and when will it be active?
Thanks,
Dennis

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I recently had one of the AR members E-mail me about my ACRA-Bond laminate stock. I replied to him, and copied the reply and will post it as follows. Thought I might let everybody know what kind of guy Rod is...

Quote:

Sorry, don't have any pics. The Lamination is obvious, but it's not ugly if that makes sense. The laminate on mine is exactly 3/4" wide on the bottom and top. That's 3 pieces, 1/4" wide each, glued together. I am very happy with mine and wouldn't hesitate to buy another, and may in fact do that. Now that Rod owns the company, I think the new stocks will have better quality inletting. Mine is good, but it could have been just a bit tighter around the action and the bolt. The barrel channel is perfect. The recoil pad was a perfect installation. The only thing that I don't like about mine is the comb has a slight rise to it. I prefer them to come straight back, maybe even drop just a little. They, (stock makers) say that a slight rise reduces felt recoil and that may be true. I just like the sight plane better when the comb of the stock is level as opposed to raised. As to the stock itself, it's a beautiful piece of Bastogne. Lot's of Fiddleback, excellent grain. I finished it myself with true oil and it came out perfect for what I want it for. This gun is the gun I use in Alaska. It's been carried on my back for hundreds of miles on a snowmobile, and doesn't get special treatment. If I was to buy another, I think I'd go for grain instead of the fiddleback. My gun is stainless, and the fiddleback doesn't really go that well with it. I'm still pleased with it though.

I don't think you can go wrong with them. Rod is a great guy to deal with. When Mel died, my stock wasn't finished. I wasn't about to get after a woman who had just lost her husband. I figured that's just the way it goes sometimes. Well, one day I received an E-mail from Rod telling me he was going to finish all of the outstanding stocks that Mel had. He did, including mine. Not many folks who would do that sort of thing. He won me over, and has a customer for life.

Joel Babcock

I had payed for the stock, and figured I'd never see the stock, or the money. I was more than pleased with the finished product. The gun is accurate, and this last Spring the gun bounced all over the Western end of the Seward Peninsula looking for those long haired pigs of the North Lots of wet snow, unfortunately no bears, but point of impact never changed. It's a great product.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Okay,
I actually like the name alot...

Now, when a classic mauser stock pattern, for iron sights? Start with something simple, say a sporter B for a m98?

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year I was very busy with work and never made any of the gun shows west of the mtn. I usually saw Mel at the Kalispel Show. VERY shocked and saddened to hear of his passing. He was a great guy.

Best of luck with the new venture.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My partner and I have been arguing all day as to who should be the troll and who should be the weasel. We decided that sales (Larry) would make a great weasel cuz he could then say anything to make the sale. Operations (me), could be the troll who bites off heads when asked "Is it done yet?" and spits them out the back door for the coyotes to munch on, provided of course we haven't kilt them all by now. Just when we got it settled, now we must decide who's snide and who has a little prick. That's likely to be a bit more difficult.

We might even change the name of the company again to:

Serengeti Stockworks, LLC, T&W, SLP's et al.

Actually the point to my post on the refund subject was not to make light of MTRHTR's issue, but point out that one (or two) problems should not condemn a company, provided they make it good. If the opposite were true, what would happen to Leupold, Zeiss, Burris, Remington, Winchester and just about every other firearms industry manufacturer?

My score card with those companies runs a lot worse than MRC.

(problems verses population)

Leupold: 2 out of 5
Zeiss: 1 out of 3
Burris: 2 out of 4
Horus Vision: 1 out of 1
Remington: 1 out of 4
Ruger: 4 out of 1 (long story)
Winchester: 3 out of 3 (and that's damn disheartening).

None of these companies would even consider a refund. But all except Winchester had good service and repaired the product without delay.

When it comes to refunds, I'm of the opinion they are bad for business and bad for the customer. It is the final solution, but it is a poor one. I believe it is far better to make it right, to win back the trust and satisfaction the customer had when he ordered. When a customer gets his money back, his injury is resolved, but I doubt he is satisfied. He wanted the product he thought the company made. The company is much better off living up to the original expectation. Better for their reputation, better for the customer.

About a week after Mel passed away, I got a letter from a lawyer demanding a refund in five days. I call the firm, explained that proprietor has passed and asked to speak with their client (our customer). The customer called, and was adament. He believed his stock was junk and this was the second one and he was fed up.

I asked him to return it and we would get a refund out immediately.

I got the stock back and guess what. He was right. The finish was poor, the grip cap badly dinged, the butt pad on crooked. I can't imagine how it must have looked to a guy stuck in a wheelchair, doped to the gills on painkillers while a staph infection rotted away his backside. We sent the check.

And then we refinished the stock, installed a new butt pad, a new grip cap, and sent the stock too. Never heard from the customer, but I reckon he won't bad mouth us too much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On to the questions:

Red Mist: In final shaping as of today. Will have it at the Shot Show. An AAA+ stock, home to a stainless 26" fluted barrel, .830 muzzle, .243win, 1:9 twist, 4140 MRC short action (RH, sorry, all we have), FalconCoated, probably a Jewel Trigger. Wide beavertail forend, target grip. Built on speculation. No gopher safe inside of 500. Sweet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
URL: www.serengetistockworks.com

Automatic redirection from www.acrabondlaminates.com as soon as we get all the pages complete. Possibly by this weekend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now we are in the midst of discussion on a new "brit" style stock. Super skinny and short forend. Lots of drop at the heel. Send a picture of what you have in mind to rod@serengetirifles.com. We'll look at it.

The Cheetah, a departure from typically heavier American styles has taken off like a rocket. And there were a lot of nay-sayers on that one. Kind of interesting to try something new.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My partner and I have been arguing all day as to who should be the troll and who should be the weasel. We decided that sales (Larry) would make a great weasel cuz he could then say anything to make the sale. Operations (me), could be the troll who bites off heads when asked "Is it done yet?" and spits them out the back door for the coyotes to munch on, provided of course we haven't kilt them all by now. Just when we got it settled, now we must decide who's snide and who has a little prick. That's likely to be a bit more difficult.

He, he! That just made my day! I badly needed that!

Quote:

About a week after Mel passed away, I got a letter from a lawyer demanding a refund in five days. I call the firm, explained that proprietor has passed and asked to speak with their client (our customer). The customer called, and was adament. He believed his stock was junk and this was the second one and he was fed up.

I asked him to return it and we would get a refund out immediately.

I got the stock back and guess what. He was right. The finish was poor, the grip cap badly dinged, the butt pad on crooked. I can't imagine how it must have looked to a guy stuck in a wheelchair, doped to the gills on painkillers while a staph infection rotted away his backside. We sent the check.

And then we refinished the stock, installed a new butt pad, a new grip cap, and sent the stock too. Never heard from the customer, but I reckon he won't bad mouth us too much.

That was great post Rod! I wonder what your customer thought when he received the refinished stock after the refund?? If he had had any decency, the least he could have done was to call up and figure out what was going on. Anyway, you get to deal with all sorts of people, he probably could not possibly imagine that the stock had been returned to him as a deliberate act, so now thinks you are totally disorganized, that the "refund" department does not know what the "stock refinish" department does, and vice versa. Sigh, can't win them all, I suppose

Happy to see that the Cheetah has other proponents - I thought it looked pretty darn spiffy! Keep up the good work!
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rod, did you ever get your TRG-S finished?

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My TRG is in final magazine fitting now. The stock is fully shaped with bottom metal installed. As soon as we work the edges so that magazine releases as it should, we go to oil finishing. Four customer TRG's on the shelf behind it. I didn't want to experiment on them. It's going to the ShotShow with us.