New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 57 on 96 Swede - Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My dad handed this one down (thinning out his collection). He "sporterized" it, including installation of the Lyman 57.

I'd love to have some sort of storage for the slide - perhaps a trapdoor in the modified military stock...? Anyone done this?

Am considering shortening the barrel from 29". Lyman literature says the sight has 1/4 MOA clicks... For what sight radius?

TIA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... No suggestions?

I'm thinking a likely storage space could be carved out where the current rear sling swivel(?) plate is. It is about .535" wide, and the 57 slide, with aperture removed, is .700".

So perhaps I can find a cartridge trap to replace the plate that would have a wide enough opening? Anyone know of any plain, inexpensive traps?

The slide could be used in ghost ring mode in a hurry, or it only takes a couple of seconds to screw the aperture in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some examples of what you're seeking.

In addition, here's anoher pic showing a few specific suggestions.

One of these days I'll use the trap door from the military buttplate to form another door in the old Winchester buttplate, and then checker it to match. In the past, I've heated-&-forged miltary buttplates into a more-pleasing shape in order to to use them on sporter stocks. Good luck.

BTW there's no such thing as an inexpensive belly trap.....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe!

I'm fairly decided on a non-buttplate solution, as my dad replaced it with a pad for longer LOP and I'd rather leave it that way. Sentimental thing. Though I'm intrigued by a removable pad concept... Never found one.

I think the belly trap idea is slick. But if it's expensive, well... Damn!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have been seeking a removable pad design with no luck. A left coast smith named Hubert Hecht (IIRC) used to offer these but I no longer see his ads.

The cost of the belly traps usually runs $100-$175 with some costing even more. But the REAL expense is the installation, especially into a finished stock. I myself love traps and usually build one into all my own rifles, and have installed a couple of belly traps into finished stocks. It's not a job for the faint-of-heart or the semi-skilled amateur, at least not into a stock having any aesthetic value.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, for me, I feel that I can cut on/in this sporterized stock with enough skill that the workmanship will be at least up to par with that on the rest of the rifle.

Any links to those belly traps in the price range you mention, or are they special-order only?

Do you know, conceptually, how the removable pads worked?

Cheers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's and New England Custom Guns are two sources, also Meier in Texas used to offer them but I haven't seen any Meier ads lately.

IIRC the pad used a concealed hinge similar to that on some cabinets, allowing the pad to move outward at the same time as it hinged upward. This was 40 years ago and my memory isn't what it was.......
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be interesting to do a removable pad similar to the way the floorplate opens... Hmmm... But needing a tool for opening ain't good...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For belly trap inspiration, you can see Tommy Bish's article in the Home Gunsmithing Digest 3rd edition (IIRC). Also IIRC he made his own trap as well as installing it, all with pictures and instructions.

For the pad, I've thought about a Redfield-style rotating dovetail with some sort of latch.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some insight into me way of thinkin' (if you'll pardon it!)... ;-)

I like to try to match aesthetics and functionality if I can. E.g. matching the working of the removable pad to something else on the rifle, such as the floorplate or even a "dovetail" slide with button, like on the 57 itself.

I think it's more elegant, in a way, to have all that kinda stuff "matched."

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
J.D. What type of removable pad would you like to see built??

Is this for and interchangeable setup or???

I'm always looking for new projects to add to the machine shop

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kc,

Please keep me posted if you start working on a removable pad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

KC, I was trying to come up with something that would allow ready access to a butt cavity and still be sturdy enough for rougn-country hunting as well as prove relatively long-lasting. Pachmayr once offered an interchangeable setup and I bought one but never insalled it. I'm glad now, it seems that the plastic will deteriorate over time.

I finally came up with the idea of adapting the rotating dovetail, much as is done on the NECG (I believe) trap grip cap. Lots of steel there but I figure that if you need a recoil pad then a few extra ozs of weight shouldn't be a big problem (grin).

What I visualized was a flat steel stock-side base plate with a female rotating dovetail at the top area and a small detent ball or other latch at the bottom end. Could be attached to the stock by any number and placement of screws. A matching pad-side plate with male dovetail would accomodate the pad, and other male plates would accomodate other butt treatments. The stock's base plate could be machined in the middle for any shape cavity or left solid for individual client design.

Might be kinda pricey but......?
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:KC, I was trying to come up with something that would allow ready access to a butt cavity and still be sturdy enough for rougn-country hunting as well as prove relatively long-lasting. Pachmayr once offered an interchangeable setup and I bought one but never insalled it. I'm glad now, it seems that the plastic will deteriorate over time.

I finally came up with the idea of adapting the rotating dovetail, much as is done on the NECG (I believe) trap grip cap. Lots of steel there but I figure that if you need a recoil pad then a few extra ozs of weight shouldn't be a big problem (grin).

What I visualized was a flat steel stock-side base plate with a female rotating dovetail at the top area and a small detent ball or other latch at the bottom end. Could be attached to the stock by any number and placement of screws. A matching pad-side plate with male dovetail would accomodate the pad, and other male plates would accomodate other butt treatments. The stock's base plate could be machined in the middle for any shape cavity or left solid for individual client design.

Regards, Joe

I'm thinking (hold your comments on that, please!), whether you use a rotating dovetail or whatever, you might be able to make the steel parts invisible with the pad in place...

That is, imagine Joe's stock-side base plate inletted into the stock, flush with the butt. Then the mating piece(s) could be attached to the plastic(?) plate of the pad.

Do you think something like that might be possible?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

KC, I was trying to come up with something that would allow ready access to a butt cavity and still be sturdy enough for rougn-country hunting as well as prove relatively long-lasting. Pachmayr once offered an interchangeable setup and I bought one but never insalled it. I'm glad now, it seems that the plastic will deteriorate over time.

Regards, Joe

How quick would you like to get at the center cavity of the stock?? Would you like to get in there with no tools or spend a minute to undo something to get in there.

I can fab up a prototype. Like I said I'm always looking for a niche to fill

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pivot and a djus(?) fastener..?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote