New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went scope shopping today, looking at something in the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 range; I like matte finish on guns, and couldn't bring myself to pay an extra $40 (for otherwise the same scope) for matte in the Leupold. I wish the mattes would go on sale too.

Anyway, looking at several others, incl Nikon Buckmaster, B&L 3200, and Burris compact, I came across a Weaver V9, on clearance for $180. It seemed to be the brightest and sharpest of the lot, with a lifetime warranty. So, I bought it. I'll post later and let you know how it works at the range & on Michigan whitetails. Until then, what is YOUR experience with the new line of Weavers? I bought the 38mm objective, I hate those big ugly bells. They do make the same scope in 50 mm.

Best,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK so now it's mounted -- looks right smart on my 1909 Argentine 270. Ray you wouldn't like it, it has a plastic stock. Although the longer I look at it, the better I can envision a nice walnut stock, that would look very nice with the matte scope and matte teflon/epoxy finish. Hmmm.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with Weaver scopes is the go to hell in a handbasket in the cold temps of late season Idaho hunts and in New Mexico late season....They fog and the reticles break...Many of my clients are Texans and they like the Weavers in that hot country and I always used them growing up in Texas and no problems except in So. Texas where the cold humidity fogged them....I have seen more than a few failures....After my first year in Idaho I went to Leupolds and have never seen any reason to change..$40. is a good investment for that kind of security...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Point well taken; you more experienced guys are so darn hard to argue with. I returned the Weaver and picked up a Leupold instead. The point about fogging hit home, I missed a decent one a few years back by breathing on the eyepiece as I brought the gun up.

Thanks,
Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't make any difference if you spend $3000 or $30 for a scope , if you breathe on the lens in cold weather , it will fog the OUTSIDE .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ray, is your fogging experience with the El Paso Weavers or the Japanese Weavers? I've never had a problem with my Japan 4x's. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I usually stick to Leupolds. I buy them used, then get Leupold to check them out. About the same price as a new Weaver.

But, I do have a Weaver K2.5 that has seen service on a few different rifles over the last 10years. It is still one of the best and brightest scopes I own. Hasn't fogged on the inside yet. Those little fixed power scopes don't usually develop a leak, though. I can't speak for the variables.

FWIW, Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a 36X Weaver scope on my bench gun. It's nice. I don't take it out in the field and bang it around, but for what I use it for, it does the job well... ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote