THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-30 Waters on Martini Cadet .. will it chamber?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have read that the 30-30 will "make the bend" but not sure about 7-30 Waters, it's a fatter case and the bore/neck area is tighter. Anyone? I suppose if a 25-35 will make it, that would be worth knowing.

All else fails I will have to make a fake barrel stub ... but since this is a WR bayonet mount takedown, that is not straightforward.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Check with Loud-n-Boomer on here. I think Duane Wibe built him a 7-30 on a Martini. I think he told me that is the largest cartridge you can put on a Martini.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, and Rolland on here does also.
Yes it works. You do have to "bottom out" the lever to get the round to drop in easily.
I wouldn't do it again, I'd go with a 25/35, but if 7x30 is what you want, you are good to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What theback40 said tu2

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys ..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The caution I was advised was to make the barrel threads a very snug fit in the action...things do get al little on the thin side.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
o i donno i have a cadet in 219 improved zipper and it makes the bend just fine

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you have your heart set on a larger round and a cadet action - go to a 12/15 cadet action

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The late Bob Snapp, who was a wizard with the little Martinis, successfully built a 7-30 Waters on a small Martini. BTW, some of his small Martinis were engraved and absolutely stunning!

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cadet in 225 win on a 30-30 rim. It was a 219 zip imp of some variation. A 225 reamer just cleaned it up.
The cadet with the most trouble is my 357 max.
I had to alter the feed trough to get the rounds into the chamber it's so straight. It weighs about 4 1/2# and will push a 200 grn spritzer over 2000 fps. Yes it jumps a bit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
The caution I was advised was to make the barrel threads a very snug fit in the action...things do get al little on the thin side.

The threads should be cut to a class four fit if you look at the information that Spearchucker posted it will give you all the information needed to rebarrel one.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would not do this barrel fit. Cadets are small....

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw that Spearchucker post I normally hand lap my threads to the specific action.

This action is a rare bayonet mount action by Westley Richards ("Patent Takedown"). No threads on barrel. Have not measured dia of shank yet, will do that.

But I am thinking perhaps a 7mm TCU might be a better choice. Have to figure out the ejector though. I have the barrel and it's contoured to .875 shank so the only other option is to put it on a Sav 340.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off memory .... 3/4 - 14 tpi.
They sold lots of cadets that were simply rechambered to 32 spl. Never heard of one that had blown up. Aussies did loads of 219 Zipper variations with no problems.
Remember, the extraction is very weak on a martini. You will run into extraction issues long before dangerous pressures are reached.
Don't forget to bush the FP hole if not done already, they run large.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the math on hoop stress. A .750" shank made of 125000 psi steel will contain a 30-30 case (or a 7-30 waters case) at 45000 psi without yielding. However, this is an UNTHREADED shank. When you cut the threads and use the minor diameter, there isn't enough left to provide any kind of safety factor. You are down to bare bones. That is why the guys say the thread has to be a class 4 thread.

Considering a 41 mag, which has the same case dimensions at the base as a 30-30 case, but only 35kpsi, you are OK in a Cadet if you use the right barrel steel. Stainless generally has a lower yield point than CM. I am thinking of going that route (41 mag not stainless).

In my case, backthrust is the issue. There are no threads, just 3 lugs like a late sako bolt. So the straight 41 mag case at lower psi will have a lot less back thrust than the tapered 30-30 case at 45000. And hoop stress is easily under the yield point.

Don't trust my math, do your own.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have one that Duane Wiebe built for me, and have put quite a few rounds down the tube. Bob Snapp did a bunch of them and said it was his favorite round for the cadet actions. He advised that if you stay with loads listed in the reloading manuals, you will have no trouble. If I wanted another single shot 7-30 Waters, I would not have any qualms about using a Martini cadet action. The only thing I would change for another would be to go with a 24-inch barrel instead of the 20-inch I have.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I did the math on hoop stress. A .750" shank made of 125000 psi steel will contain a 30-30 case (or a 7-30 waters case) at 45000 psi without yielding. However, this is an UNTHREADED shank. When you cut the threads and use the minor diameter, there isn't enough left to provide any kind of safety factor. You are down to bare bones. That is why the guys say the thread has to be a class 4 thread.

Considering a 41 mag, which has the same case dimensions at the base as a 30-30 case, but only 35kpsi, you are OK in a Cadet if you use the right barrel steel. Stainless generally has a lower yield point than CM. I am thinking of going that route (41 mag not stainless).

In my case, backthrust is the issue. There are no threads, just 3 lugs like a late sako bolt. So the straight 41 mag case at lower psi will have a lot less back thrust than the tapered 30-30 case at 45000. And hoop stress is easily under the yield point.

Don't trust my math, do your own.

just fit the threads to an interference fit,worry the action with l8 lubricant and you'll get a tighter fit than lapping every time

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for tip Duane. Going to go with some lesser caliber out of respect for WR action, it's a survivor that came out of South Africa. Has the original owner's name (Dutch) pencilled into the barrel channel, with date.