THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    .17 Mach 11 rechamber to .17 HMR - Possible or not ?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Mach 11 rechamber to .17 HMR - Possible or not ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Since the .17 Mach 11 is pretty much dead in the water here , the rifles are cheap...

Is it possible to rechamber to .17 HMR just with a re-ream job or is the shoulder on the Mach 11 too fat ( as I suspect it to be ). I cant find my specimen of the Mach 11 to compare to a HMR.

Thanks in advance

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cartridge, Rim D, Base D, Shoulder D, Base to Shoulder
HM-2 .272, .224, .223, .546
HMR .289, .239, .238, .850

IF there's enough bolt throw (or your starting with a single shot) than it should work.
A self loader wouldn't be a good platform, due to the increased recoil pulse.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 10-22, Aleaddict on this forum makes a tungsten bolt.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch
While that would work for the 22lr to 17 HM-2 or 22Mag to 17 HMR, wouldn't there be some other issues in converting a 10-22 from a lr length to a mag length cartridge?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aleaddict manufactures a receiver that has 2 sets of pin holes. This allows you to move the trigger group back and allows for the longer cartridge. He is building a 4 barrel setup for his daughter. It will handle 22LR-22mag, 17HMR2-17HMR. She wanted it to look like an express rifle. He is doing a walnut stock that follows closely to the express lines. You may have followed his thread on building his own barrel band front sight. He will do the quarter rib after he finishes his repaint of his new to him Rockwell lathe. His daughter will be very happy with it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Since the .17 Mach 11 is pretty much dead in the water here , the rifles are cheap...

Is it possible to rechamber to .17 HMR just with a re-ream job or is the shoulder on the Mach 11 too fat ( as I suspect it to be ). I cant find my specimen of the Mach 11 to compare to a HMR.

Thanks in advance

I have noticed lots of ammo in some stores for the .17 M2 (at sale prices)while you could not get .22 WMR. Soon the .17 M2 will be orphaned like the 5MM and the .32 rimfires.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys .

My local gunshop has a couple of H&R Handi-rifles in 17 Mach 11 and a couple of bolt actions as well. The owner was lamenting how he was going to have to heavily discount them to get rid of them , and I didnt want to show any interest in case he thought he had found a sucker....maybe he has.. Confused

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Aleaddict manufactures a receiver that has 2 sets of pin holes. This allows you to move the trigger group back and allows for the longer cartridge. He is building a 4 barrel setup for his daughter. It will handle 22LR-22mag, 17HMR2-17HMR. She wanted it to look like an express rifle. He is doing a walnut stock that follows closely to the express lines. You may have followed his thread on building his own barrel band front sight. He will do the quarter rib after he finishes his repaint of his new to him Rockwell lathe. His daughter will be very happy with it.
Butch

Ahh, cool. I didn't follow that thread, so I was completly in the dark. Thanks for the information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the m2 might be dying, but look at the ammo price. i bought a few thousand round at 2.99 a box. hmr is 9-12. you can afford to stock up on enough ammo for the m2 so that when it does die - so what. at first i didn't see much use in it, but then between ammo prices and obtaining one of the t/c autos in m2 and these flocks of blackbirds, i found a use really quick

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
the m2 might be dying, but look at the ammo price. i bought a few thousand round at 2.99 a box. hmr is 9-12. you can afford to stock up on enough ammo for the m2 so that when it does die - so what. at first i didn't see much use in it, but then between ammo prices and obtaining one of the t/c autos in m2 and these flocks of blackbirds, i found a use really quick

At $2.99 you are paying $60 per thousand.
I guess you can buy 10K to 20K rounds and have at a flock. The ammo might one day be worth more than the rifle.

I found a set of .17 Ackley Bee dies thinking I will eventually run into a .17 HMR or 17 M2 Contender barrel one of these days.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote