THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Barrel Wall thickness on a 404 Jeffery-Now I Understand!!!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Wall thickness on a 404 Jeffery-Now I Understand!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been looking at different barrels on line today.
A #4 sporter is .650" at muzzle - .423 and/2=.113" wall thickness at muzzle
A#5 sporter is .700" at muzzle -.423 and/2=.138.5"

Is the lighter barrel with .113" sufficient, or do I need to go for the .138.5" wall thickness.
The front sight and the banded sling swivel base will be soldered on. The rear sit may be screwed on, but the barrel will be thicker there.
Thanks.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I always read rule of thumb was .125" minimum thickness at the business end. I have a 9.3x57 that's thinner than that. I think you can get .125" from the #4 barrel, just shorten it down some or have a custom profile turned - that would be your best bet. Also, not all #4 barrels are exactly the same from different manufacturers. Look around.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.100" is the minimum and people have gotten away with .080" on Nitro Express barrels for years.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your great input. That takes a great load off of my mind.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you were worried about strength; I thought it was about total weight.
Do not worry about barrel wall thickness at the muzzle; there is practically no pressure there and it can be paper thin. Ok, maybe not paper, Look at double rifles. Just checked a 450 Nitro; muzzles are .083.
Balance is the reason barrels are thin at the muzzle and there is no rule.
You can't rely on the banded front sight for strength though.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Zastava factory barrels for the 458 Win Mag are .660 at the muzzle which leaves a .101" wall thickness

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I'm a slow learner, but I write down what I learn.