New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Hand Winchester 70 Action Size
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was there more than one length left hand action? My Magnum action is a bit short for a 7RM cartridge to be top feed without inserting at an angle. I was considering rechambering one to 300 H&H, but would like a longer action to fit the cartridge. I called Winchester and couldn't get an answer beyond "we don't recommend re chambering".
Anyone know? Seems like the magnum action is the same as for an 06 except for bolt face.
Thank you in advance,
Richard

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Only one size in left hand.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

Well actually no. They did produce a "short action" lefty. But in the standard and magnum chamberings they are the same. The H&H actions have had the rear bridge milled rearward to better facilitate the loading and ejection of the longer rounds in a longer mag box.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gentlemen.
I very much appreciate the additional information on the H&H fit. I'm considering having most of my rifles (~4) in model 70 and just re-chambering for the cartridge I want, as I usually only find 7mmRM in LH. This will help me get to that goal, again thanks. Richard

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
quote:

Well actually no. They did produce a "short action" lefty. But in the standard and magnum chamberings they are the same. The H&H actions have had the rear bridge milled rearward to better facilitate the loading and ejection of the longer rounds in a longer mag box.

Thanks for letting me know. They must not have made many; in 15 years of gunsmithing I've never seen one, and since I prefer left-handed rifles I'm always on the lookout for them.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for letting me know. They must not have made many; in 15 years of gunsmithing I've never seen one, and since I prefer left-handed rifles I'm always on the lookout for them.

All the commercially available ones were WSM's. Much much easier to find than standard length LH Model 70's. The custom shop did standard bolt face SA's, but they are rare and expensive!

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My 7 STW has the rear ring milled back, and without going and looking I am sure the 375 is also as well as the ex-375 you barreled to .404 for me

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote