Find
Notify
Tools

1911 bushing failure
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
first one I ever saw. S80 Colt 1911, about 30 years old.

BIG picture

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Just, WOW!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not uncommon with those collet type bushings. replaced a bunch of them over the years. I will go look for one of the original ones if your interested, might have one in a box somewhere that was switched out before it broke.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, for all you young guys; this is NOT the original Colt 1911 barrel bushing design, which never breaks. This collet bushing is the Mark 2 or something; I forgot what they called it but it came out in about 1970. Oh, I just answered it; Series 70.
Anyway, these were supposed to make the pistol more accurate by holding the barrel in the spring collet; but the downside is that they break. Fit a solid one and it will outlast you and your descendants or until they ban them. Which the libs will do as soon as they can. Already got Europe and Britain.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, another answer to a problem that doesn't exist ! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Agree with dpcd. It now has a solid bushing.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, for all you young guys; this is NOT the original Colt 1911 barrel bushing design, which never breaks. This collet bushing is the Mark 2 or something; I forgot what they called it but it came out in about 1970. Oh, I just answered it; Series 70.

Aaah! OK, I'm still a newb, for pistolas, I was freaked with the thought of what it would take to cause that.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
That's been happening ever since they started making them. Bad idea.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which bad did you want to know about ? Poor idea, poor design, poor HT, poor QC [dimensions], etc, etc ! 2020