THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Remington M700 SPS quality control went to sleep.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington M700 SPS quality control went to sleep.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Well it finally happened. Started to install bases on a Remington M700 SPS today & had to re-tap two of the screw holes because they were barely tapped at all(threads went half way through rear bridge holes & screws would not start at all). The third hole was canted about 10 to 15 degrees to the right! The fourth hole was good. Quality control really went to sleep on this one! Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will bet you lunch if you were to take it apart and check for concentricity and co axial alignment between the barrel and the action you would find the TIR to exceed .008. I'll bet you a second lunch the bolt handle is welded on crooked and the primary extraction is out of time. I'll bet you a third lunch only one bolt lug is engaging the action when in battery.

I can taste that Ribeye now.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Longshot, either you really don't like 700's or there are a bunch of them messed up! Sounds like you do know a good steak though Big Grin stir

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
There most likely are no or limited post production quality checks. The trends in manufacturing over past decade has been to build the quality into the process. This places even more emphasis that people actually do their jobs correctly. Apparently the operator on the drill press was otherwise occupied while working on your action.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longshot:
I will bet you lunch if you were to take it apart and check for concentricity and co axial alignment between the barrel and the action you would find the TIR to exceed .008. I'll bet you a second lunch the bolt handle is welded on crooked and the primary extraction is out of time. I'll bet you a third lunch only one bolt lug is engaging the action when in battery.

I can taste that Ribeye now.

Longshot

I'll take that second lunch bet with you.

I've seen way too many out of whack axes (had to go online to check the spelling) across the manufacturing spectrum to take the first and third lunch bet on almost ANY massed produced gun today, but you're on for the second lunch bet.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Longshot, either you really don't like 700's or there are a bunch of them messed up!

No he has probably just had the pleasure to work on a bunch of them.

The bolt handle is ok on this one but the bolt would not close ( right out of the box ).

Do you think remy test fired this rifle?

I had to .018 off the end of the front locking screw. It was too long blocking the bottom lug & was stopping the bolt from closeing.

The lug engagement wasn't all that bad for a factory remy. At least both lugs engaged. Top lug about 10% & bottom about 30%. Roll Eyes

My remy 700 made in about 1974 looks better every time I see a new remington 700! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently the operator on the drill press was otherwise occupied while working on your action

Maybe he was text messaging! Big Grin

Luckly it was not my action. Cool

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Do you think remy test fired this rifle?

Was there powder residue in the bore? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bet you a second lunch the bolt handle is welded on crooked and the primary extraction is out of time.

Is this pretty common then? I built a rifle based on an XR-100 that seemed to have this problem. Instead of re-soldering the handle I put a bead on there and ground it down:

I've been using Pierce actions since. The rear scope base mounting on the remingtons doesn't seem consistent either. What is the radius and offset of that surface actually supposed to be? Is shimming the rear base almost always required? The Pierce is the same diameter the whole way so it's simple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also bet that with all those problems it is still very accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem. 700 P (Police), mfg'd in Feb. 2009. .308 Win. Leupold Mark 4 scope, rings. Jewell trigger. I've had a smith take it apart and look it over while installing the trigger. It's perfect, shoots in the realm of 0.5 MOA if I do my part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug:

Does your action click when opening? What is the gap measurement between the bolt handle and the action? Is there a gap in time between lug release and primary extraction begining? It is rare that a factory Remington bolt handle is timed correctly. I think you will find more experienced smiths will agree.
John Pierce, Jim Borden, Jerry Stiller, Jim Kelbly, Barney Lawton all corrected the problems associated with the Remington bolt timing.

Just ask Dan Armstrong in Fairbanks AK. He has made it a business.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
I also bet that with all those problems it is still very accurate.

Groups were all 1 hole, but only because I couldn't eject the case to fire a second one! lol It is quite accurate now, but I attribute most of that to the barrel and handloads.

But I am curious what the radius and offset of the rear scope base mounting surface is supposed to be on a remington. I measured ~2.1" radius at 0.103" lower than the front of the receiver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been searching for the "correct" dimensions for remington scope bases on this forum, but I'm not seeing them. Anyone have this or is it secret information? Calling up remington certainly didn't get me anywhere...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I measured another action at 0.116" height difference between the front and rear. I didn't measure the radius though...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot some loads in a 257 Weatherby I am working up for a friend. His rifle. Late model Remington 700. Has the new trigger, so I guess it is probably a year or so old. I did notice the action on this rifle seemed to fit the bolt better than my 700s. The rifle shoots 117 Hornady round noses very well. It really felt "right", which I cannot say about my Remingtons.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weaver Specs for Rem 700 bases.

Base number from:
http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx

Base dimensions from:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx..._Base_Specifications

-----------------------

35 front base

1.168 long

.860 hole spacing

1.290 Diameter

.147 thick

--------------------------

36 rear base

1.401 length

.604 hole space

3.900 diameter

.272 thick

----------------------------------

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcp:
1.290 Diameter

Thanks for the reply. All the remington actions I've measured are ∅1.350 or more, so I wonder if they use a 1.290 diameter to make sure the base touches the action at its outer edges?

If the "thickness" translates into the elevation difference between the front and rear base mounting surfaces, that comes to 0.125" which would put that first action more than 20 thou off!