New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunmaker's Guild Publication
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This Spring's GUNMAKER is about the best edition that the Guild has ever published. It has some great how-to articles on Double Guns by Dave Norin, Hammer and Sear Goemetry for shot guns by Dennis Potter, A Feeds and Speeds article by Pete Grisel, Custom Rifles in New Orleans by Steve Nelson, along with my usual columns.

If your not a Guild member (regular or associate) you can contact Jan Billeb at www.acgg.org for a copy. Their selling for $5 a copy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Kent Bowerly's "A Case for Walnut and Blued Steel," Mark.

It's not my intention to start another pissing contest, but I just can't see the need for synthetic stocks.

And Mr. Bowerly is kind enough to include tips for gun care in inclement weather. Need I add he's in Oregon, and has hunted extensively in Washington and Alaska?

It may be of note... that most of the damage to the guns that went through the New Orleans debacle were damaged because the owner sleeved them, and (for the mostpart) the blued steel resisted rust where it was not in contact with the sleeves.

Rick's listed a a new associate member, as am I.

LOL.

Bill Soverns was busy.

flaco

Also, after having spoken with Jim Wisner on the phone, it was nice to see his photograph.

Overall, it reminded me of just how much fun I had in Reno!

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Flaco,

hehehe........well I thought you might enjoy the membership. Was I correct?

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill-

A year and a half ago I hadn't been shooting for roughly 20 years. September of '04 I ordered a copy of Kuhnhausen from Midway.

Now I'm shooting (a few) 1/2" groups with a rifle I built. (Which has a stunning full fiddleback Claro stock, I might add.) And my own loads.

I've been to the range virtually every weekend--I'm jonesing today because the club is closed for Easter--I could since last spring.

I've spent piles of time on my projects and at the range, and other great time with the folks I met.

Some of whom were at Reno.

In short, I have rifle fever, chronic and severe.

For me, the Associate Membership is not a credential, but a symbolic act to show I'm earnest. How much I like this whole wonderful thing of building, shooting, and admiring rifles.

And support the Guild.

So yep, Bill, thanks for encouraging me to join. LOL.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, okay, only one sub 1/2" group. .481, near as I can tell.

And my heart was swollen with pride.

LOL.

flaco

Lots of legitimate sub 1" groups, though. LOL.

Wait 'til next weekend!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Stratton has a very nice recipe for doughnuts in this article also. Mouth watering stuff. Smiler

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:

Rick's listed a a new associate member, as am I.

LOL.

I didn’t see anyone named flaco as a new associate member????

beer

Hey, flaco...how is your friend that was with you doing? Nice guy with a great sense of humor, really enjoyed shooting the breeze with him up there.

Have you ever been out to that range in Piru? I think they opened up a 1,000 yard range.

I could tell you had the “fever†bad up in Reno. Your friend and I were watching you once looking at the rifles on a couple of the tables and he said you looked like a cheetah on the prowl for dinner, Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I enjoyed Mark’s doughnut recipe I think the article by Steve Nelson was the best.

He told the story and showed some photos of one of his clients rifle after being submerged in toxic slime in New Orleans after the levees took a puke and flooded his neighborhood.

Anyone who says that rust bluing doesn’t protect steel...or that Leupold scopes are cheap and/or fragile should read that artice and view the pictures.

One of the rifles had an aluminum trigger guard and the flood “water†ate it! Steve defines “ate†as the guard being completely dissolved in some areas where the anodizing had worn off.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When do you guys get your copy of the Gunmaker? I haven't seen mine yet. Maybe it just takes it longer to get to the Midwest.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, mine came on Friday, I would think you will get it Monday or so.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kent is wise enough to live on the dry East side in Oregon, but his points are accurate.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Do I have to pay double to get a copy...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I note the editor's comment that he didn't see a custom 1903 at the show: how have the mighty fallen !!!

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
I note the editor's comment that he didn't see a custom 1903 at the show: how have the mighty fallen !!!

This was the first time I had attended the show and I commented on here afterwards that I was really surprised, and a bit disappointed, that there were no 03’s at the show.

The other observation I made was that there were no older scopes (at least I didn’t see any) mounted on any of these great looking rifles. Would have loved to see some old Weavers or Lymans sitting on these beauties, but just about all I saw were brand new Leupolds, that to me anyway, looked a bit out of place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Each Guild member is a private businessman, and what you see at the show are firearms that customers have asked to have built. It's the market that determines what's built. I have a set of show rifles, and because their mine, I build what I like. Model 70's I like to build but because of the limited supply of actions, I build them only to a customer's order.

I've had 2 1903 Springfield actions in stock for years and no one has asked for a Springfield custom rifle. What you see at the Guild show is what the gunmaker usually sells.

Wanted to see some of the more classic scopes and features is kind of like going to a Ford Dealer and wanting to buy a new Model T. Model T's are out there, but you won't find one at a dealership.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark_Stratton:
Each Guild member is a private businessman, and what you see at the show are firearms that customers have asked to have built. It's the market that determines what's built. I have a set of show rifles, and because their mine, I build what I like. Model 70's I like to build but because of the limited supply of actions, I build them only to a customer's order.

I've had 2 1903 Springfield actions in stock for years and no one has asked for a Springfield custom rifle. What you see at the Guild show is what the gunmaker usually sells.

Wanted to see some of the more classic scopes and features is kind of like going to a Ford Dealer and wanting to buy a new Model T. Model T's are out there, but you won't find one at a dealership.

Mark,

Obviously you know far more about it than I do, but there were a bunch of rifles for sale if I recall, and several of the tables had actions for sale.

Hey, I loved the show and really liked most of the rifles that were there, just thought it was strange that 03’s were totally absent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Not many people are asking for the Springfield to be turned into a custom rifle. If to build a 1903 spec rifle, you might not ever sell it...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I think there was at least one Krag at the show the year before, the one Jerry Fisher built for yours truly. If I ever can figure out how to take digiphotos I will post it.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rick,

Not many people are asking for the Springfield to be turned into a custom rifle. If to build a 1903 spec rifle, you might not ever sell it...

Okay, now I think I understand what you meant. The guys are showing either rifles they have already built for a customer, or ones they built on spec based on what most customers have been asking for. I’m a little slow sometimes, but that makes sense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rick,

Making Guns is just like any other business, we try to supply what the customers will buy. If you look at the customer base, they are people in their 40's and 50's who grew up reading Outdoor Life, following Jack O'Connor. The kids are out of the house and they have a little extra money for toys. A big reason why Hardley Davidson is doing so well. Only with Hardley's, they have a trailor attached to a motor home and ride the chopper the last 100 miles into Sturgis. Go figure....

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only with Hardley's, they have a trailor attached to a motor home and ride the chopper the last 100 miles into Sturgis. Go figure....

Sounds a lot like the "hunting" many people do these days. Stick the rifle in the scabard on the ATV, ride til you see something, then walk the last ten feet before shooting.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Rick,

Making Guns is just like any other business, we try to supply what the customers will buy. If you look at the customer base, they are people in their 40's and 50's who grew up reading Outdoor Life, following Jack O'Connor. The kids are out of the house and they have a little extra money for toys. A big reason why Hardley Davidson is doing so well. Only with Hardley's, they have a trailor attached to a motor home and ride the chopper the last 100 miles into Sturgis. Go figure....

Still seems strange when you see the increased demand and the accompanying increase in prices of 1903 Springfields out there.

I think it’s difficult sometimes to determine if it is the demand or what’s available that drives the marketplace. If all customers see and hear about are pre-64 Winchesters and 1909 Argentine Mausers then perhaps that’s all they associate with the custom gun business. Who knows!