Find
Notify
Tools

Disassembly literature for Browning 1885
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

A fresh Krieger blank is lying patiently through the headstock waiting to receive it’s new tennon and chamber, but I’ve yet to disassemble the Browning/Miroku low wall receiver it’ll be fitted to as I’ve read that it’s best done with some literature and a good amount of deliberation. I’ve ordered a manual that supposedly has some instruction to this effect, but the media mail seems to be running slow. I have the free time this afternoon/evening to finish this up, if someone here can help me with a potential on-line source to disassembly do’s and don’ts.

As always, your help is much appreciated.

Ian

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M-85 is supposed to be an improvement on the '78, but I can tell you unequivocally the M-78 Browning was the most complicated and difficult firearm of any type I have ever disassembled and reassembled. A fellow I went to GS school with has worked for Browning for most of the intervening years agreed. He once offered to send me disassembly instructions but I said, "No thanks, I'm not going to do it again!"
Good luck, and let us know?

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1799 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steven and Ray; that parts diagram should suffice... about to drive the lever pin. I'll let you know if an "I told you so" is in order.... gulp.

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Uberti 1885 clone in 30-30 at auction with a plan to rebarrel to 25-35.

Years later it still sits unfired in storage, but I did ask how to rebarrel it on a single shot forum. I got too many posts to copy here. If someone wants the info dump, they can PM me and I will send it.

quote:
...The bolt is inserted between the sidewalls of the action and the nut is backed off until it makes firm contact with the inside of the walls, but does NOT spread them. This, along with the lever & extractor reinserted on the bottom side, will effectively prevent any warping or collapse of the receiver. This little jackscrew arrangement can also be used to spread the walls of any collapsed or warped receiver without leaving any tracks. This spreading is sometimes necessary after case-coloring or other heat-treating procedures, or after an overenthusiastic tightening of the receiver wrench.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote