THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    How much free floating on a Target 308W Heavy barrel?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much free floating on a Target 308W Heavy barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, how much free floating is enough? I mean, the minimum space needed between barrel and stock.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many match/target rifles will have what seems to be a large amount of barrel channel matrial removed and nothing wrong with that other than somewhat an ugly appearance. Good compromise would be in the area of .125". Some use double thikness of paper, approx. .008" and consider that suffecient. For the long 30" Palma type barrels I would bed the area of the chamber and leave the rest free floated. Worked fine for me and with all of that suspended weight of the long barrel, it tended to avoid any action flex.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Hi, how much free floating is enough? I mean, the minimum space needed between barrel and stock.

Unless the stock is warped and continues to move away from the barrel as I cut, I will open the stock to a point where I can no longer hear or feel the stock slap the barrel when I give the bottom of the forearm a whack with an 'open hand'. Wouldn't want to be accused of Assault. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason for excessive air space is for cooling. Long range matches may be 20 or more rounds in 22 minutes. Here in the south it was 104 degree on the range in June.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#1 for Wespac. If you can "slap" the forend and, make it touch the barrel, it is not relieved enough.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Longshot,
You are certainly correct in the space for cooling, forgot to mention that. I know of the heat in shooting at Buntner and Oak Ridge for some years. Good point.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good points, this forum is an invaluable source of knowledge! My barrel is probably not relieved enough; thanks. beer

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many old-school gunsmiths use the "dollar bill test."

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote