THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whar can you tell me about E.R. Shaw bbls ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a lot of trouble with my .358 lever gun today and I'm about ready to get a short bolt action rebareled to .358 Alocal gunsmith said he could put on a shaw bbl. at a reasonable cost(cheap) but I'm not sure about the bbl. A Douglas bbl would only be about 50 bucks more. How do they compare ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last fall I had Shaw rebarrel a Rem 700 (222)with one of their Remington varmint contours. It groups under an inch most of the time as long as I do my part. I shot many, many ground squirrels with it this spring and early summer.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .358:
A Douglas bbl would only be about 50 bucks more.

For the extra $50, I'd go with a Douglas for sure.

<Colonel>
posted
I live in the Pittsburgh area, and I know where Shaw has there business. So living here in the "burg" there are lots of gunneys here who have had work done by Shaw, and I cannot say I heard a bad word about shaw. [Roll Eyes] [Razz] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am originally from Pittsburgh area. Shaw's reputation in that area was flawless.

Having a tough time spelling today [Frown]

[ 07-19-2002, 16:59: Message edited by: twillis ]

Posts: 172 | Location: Danville, VA, USA | Registered: 08 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
shaw makes good encono barrels. no problems, and great for hunting. you can get a douglas for a couple dollars more, and a pacnor for less than 200.

358 is a great idea, i've got a couple
jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cut a section out of a shaw barrel then split it and examine it under a scope and then tell me they are good barrels....

You get what you pay for in barrels and for a few more bucks you can get a Douglas and for a few more a Lothar-Walther...

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
358: I have half a dozen Shaws and nearly a dozen Douglass's. The Shaws in my experience shoot just as well if not a little bit better. Best group with a .256 Newton was .21" at 100 yards and she'll stay under .6" all day long. It's a sporter weight E. R. Shaw.

Just make sure it's chambered and bedded properly and you'll be a happy camper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Cut a section out of a shaw barrel then split it and examine it under a scope and then tell me they are good barrels....

There ya go...

For those shooting them, how are they to clean? How long does your accuracy stay until it's fouled too bad to shoot good any more? How long does it take to get them clean again?

Like Ray said, ya get what ya pay for. If "hitting a deer" is good enough, a Shaw will do you fine. If you expect a little more, you might want to think about moving up.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Before I knew better I had a Shaw done in 338-06 as a hunting rifle it will only shoot.5 inch 3 round groups. It does take 20 min to clean though after 25 rounds.I don't know about Douglas but if they are better it would be one great barrel.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I've only had two Douglas barrels. Both premium grade. One a 6mm/.284 (Mauser), and the other a .32/40 (C. Sharps Arms M1875). The 6mm/.284 is a .25 MOA rifle, and the .32/40 will only shoot .5 MOA. Have never had a cleaning problem with either of them. Have never owned a Shaw barrel.