New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock polishing compound?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
how do I get one of those really "shiny" finishes on a stock using things like household materials? I have used lin-seed oil, and have cut back a little with steel wool, but want a really professional looking finish. What do I use? [Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try hand rubbing some coats of Teak oil. Use just a dab, like the end of your finger tip and rub it until it is smooth and hot. Go over the whole stock, don't put a lot on and do that for five or six nights and let it dry for a day in between. 5f pumice stone can be used with finish to bring up a high sheen if you go about it lightly. I am not sure what you mean by household materials. I use finishing materials when I finish a stock and you may not have it in your home but it can be purchased at paint stores. If you go looking for Teak oil, try a marine store.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Well, it's not household but I think you can get a small jar of Birchwood Casey Tru-oil for $4-6. Put 6-8 coats rubbing in well and using 0000 steel wool between the coats and you'll get a nice high gloss finish.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote