New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claro Walnut
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anything wrong with it? I know most stockmakers don't like working with it, but functionally are there any problems with the finished product? Strength issues?
Anyone got pics of Claro stocks they'd like to post?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen Stu, I have no idea where you got this info.
Here is a brief history of Claro Walnut:
In the 20's and 30's i think it was, some botanist-type people at I think Stanford University messed around with breeding and cross-breeding certain type of walnut trees.
Eventually they came up with Claro Walnut, which is in my opinion one of the best stock-making woods ever.
Unlucky for us, the Japanese pretty much bought up all of the California Claro Walnut we had out west here.
It was used on all the old Weatherbys that came in through South Gate and the fine Japanese Brownings that came in.
Claro is a nice wood to work with because it is not too hard, yet is not by any means a weak wood. The finer stocks are what is called 'fingered' in that the grain runs completely through the entire stock: Through the forend, parallel to the barrel, down through the pistol grip, and out through the butt stock.
So, in a nutshell, Claro Walnut is a great stock-making wood, and whoever told you it is not nice or nice to work with obviously has no knowledge of stock making whatsoever.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I have several Claro stocks and they're just fine....and can be stunning as well.

If there is a disadvantage, it's that it probably won't take fine (22 LPI and finer) checkering, but I always checker 16-18 LPI because I just prefer it.

It's normally less dense than black walnut and I also like that for building light weight sporters.

For very large DG rifles I'd prefer a English or Bastogne however but I've never tried Claro on something like a .404 Jeffery.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Im hoping to get some input about this very subject on another thread from one of our members who doesnt like Claro but stockmaking is what he does, period! and he's simply one of the best..

I personally like claro for its remarkable beauty, and it is Walnut so it cant be all bad. There are certianly stocks made by manufacturers from much less desitrable wood.

As I understand it, Bastogne is a cross between American and Claro (correct me if im misinformed) and might just offer the best of both worlds. Im not stating this from experience, just based on what ive read.

Id like to see some more opinions.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by ShopCartRacing....
The finer stocks are what is called 'fingered' in that the grain runs completely through the entire stock: Through the forend, parallel to the barrel, down through the pistol grip, and out through the butt stock.
So, in a nutshell, Claro Walnut is a great stock-making wood, and whoever told you it is not nice or nice to work with obviously has no knowledge of stock making whatsoever.

The grain structure you define is the desired layout for a stock regardless of type of wood. It isn't anything indigenous to Claro. As far as "fingered" figure, I find that much more prevalent in English than in Claro......as in this photo of an English stock.

There are exceptions to any wood, but I find Claro softer, not as cleanly chiseled, and fuzzy when checkering. It does have a tendency to have more striking color, and is a perfectly suitable stock wood. It isn't the equal of English, however. Neither in workability nor finished product.

Quote:

"...whoever told you it is not nice or nice to work with obviously has no knowledge of stock making whatsoever.

I suspect you'll have disagreement from some very knowledgable stockmakers. If not on this forum there is certainly ample text authored by professional stockmakers that will echo what I've posted here.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

.... Neither in workability nor finished product.
GV

Grandview, I think I get the bit about workability, but could you expand on why you think the finished product is not the equal of good English?

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post

Originally posted by Stu C......
Grandview, I think I get the bit about workability, but could you expand on why you think the finished product is not the equal of good English?

It's not as hard, it dents easier, it soaks up more finish and gets darker, and it doesn't take fine checkering. That doesn't make it junk.....far from it. Like most other novices I used a lot of Claro when I started making stocks. It's relatively inexpensive for colored or figured wood.

I started making it harder and easier to checker by melting epoxy into the fine sanded wood before applying the finish.

There is truly a marked difference between most Claro and English. And for people who have some experience with each........a marked preference.

That's not to say there aren't an awfully lot of very nice servicable Claro stocks out there. There are.

GV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extra details.
The reason I'm posting is that I've been looking at a new Kimber rifle. I think the stocks are Claro but not sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu C and Wstrnhuntr

Sorry I did not chime in earlier, I have been being a taxidermist assistant on my African animals. If he is using me for help, he is sorely in need.

As far as Claro: It was not designed by anyone in the early nineteenth century but is a native wood (Juglans Hindsii) found in California when it was settled by the whites. Luther Burbank promoted it as a rootstock grafted with English Walnut (Juglans Regia) for agricultural walnut production plantings in the early 19th century. The orchards around Chico were started at that time and using those methods. The Claro roots were well suited for use and the grafted English gave the desired nut production.

Claro is crossed with English to produce Bastogne which is a sterile tree that is used for ornamental plantings.

Claro itself can be a very attractive wood but it is brittle and does not inlet cleanly. The strength of it is less than English, Bastogne or Black walnut and is not a good choice for a heavy recoiling rifle. I agree with what GV said about it's other weaknesses. If one is going to the expense of having a rifle stocked, the quality of the wood is not a place to try to save your money.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a beginner at stockmaking. I like Claro because you can usually get a prettier piece of wood for the same price as Juglans-Regia. It is a little softer and wouldn't be as good for Hard Kicking rifles but I think ok for Most sub 375 cal magnums.

I'm going to try and post a pic of one of my stocks. It's claro walnut checkered 22lpi

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=121924&c=544&z=1"][/url]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=121926&c=544&z=1"][/url]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=121940&c=544&z=1"][/url]

I realize I have a lot to learn but I like to wood well enough to continue to use nice pieces of it.
The rifle is a stock M-70 7mag that I stocked and Rust-Blued. It shoots about as well as any hunting rifle I own...........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
djpaintles,

Nice looking stock and good work.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Excuse me for straying from the topic....

Pronuciation of 'Bastogne' -- is the g silent?

Thanks for the english lesson
Dennis

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Help me out guys, after reading the comments on Claro, I'm a little confused. Is claro and Cal English walnut the same, I just bought a blank from Dresse, which Sharron Dressel told me the blank I bought would be fine for my 416 rigby. What I bought per Dressel's web site was Cal English Walnut.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy it is English Walnuta and different from Claro.

Bastogne is pronounced Bass stone. silent g

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cicassion Walnut, English Walnut, French Walnut and California English Walnut are all the same tree grown in different places - Juglans Regia. Claro Walnut (I forget the official name) is a native californian walnut that is a little more open grained and softer. Bastogne (or Bastard) is a graft of English onto claro trees done for disease resistance.

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chic!

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by djpaintles....
I am a beginner at stockmaking.

Heh Heh.....

Then I would submit you are an advanced beginner.

That's nice work. Very nice checkering.

GV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
djpantles,
If you are just a beginner, you are beginning very well indeed. Excellent work. Actually Bastogne is a hybrid cross of Claro and English that occurs naturally on occasion. The grafted trees still exhibit the english wood characteristics and have the thin shelled walnuts in season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a fine looking stock. Not too bad for a beginner!
Thanks for the pictures.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys! good stuff..

Im thinking that Claro might be a good wood for me to use until I can do "Rookie" work like that. Then perhaps Ill work my way into the finer woods.

If the one Im working on now turns out even close to that good Ill be extatic...

DjPaintles,

Any tips on how a rookie can achieve perfect checkering?

ps, Im stealing your pattern, hope you dont mind..

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for the input guys! good stuff..

Im thinking that Claro might be a good wood for me to use until I can do "Rookie" work like that. Then perhaps Ill work my way into the finer woods.

Hell, by that criteria I should be using rotten old lumber from an outhouse for some time yet! That is very nice-looking "rookie" work!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote