New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem??? with Timney trigger on Rem. 700
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last night I installed a nickel version of the basic Timney upgrade on my Rem. 700 Classic. Installaion went good....but, it slamfires....only when I close the bolt firmly. Yes, I know...adjust it....I did. I actually have adjusted it so far that the little nut that grabs the adjustment screw only has about 1 thread holding it....and it still slamfires. If I put the safety on when I close the bolt...then slide the safety to fire...it stays cocked and the trigger pull is a very crisp 2.5#. I have made no other adjustments to the trigger other than the letoff. What could be wrong? The trigger fits nicely, does not bind anywhere...I can't figure this one out. Could the sear adjustment be off?...again, I have not touched the sear or over-travel adjustments. I'm scratching my hair out on this one, gents...any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try a turn on your sear adj. if it solves it then cycle the bolt and turn the sear screw until it fires. then back off 1/4 to 1/2. i think that will solve it.
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woofer, thanks. I just got off the phone with Casey at Timney and he mentioned the same thing. This would be the 1st Timney that I have installed (about 20 in all) that had this problem. I didn't want to start adjusting things until I got some feedback...I appreciate your fast response. When I get home I will try the sear adjustment and advise of the outcome. Thanks, again!

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woofer....problem solved. The sear was WAY out of adjustment. I don't think they use a small enough allen wrench though. Anyway, you da man; I appreciate your help.

Gary