New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adapting a Rem 700 stock to a 721
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've never done this, but it looks like it wouldn't be too much of a chore to adapt a factory Remington 700 BDL stock to a 721. It appears that the safety notch would have to be lowered slightly, but outside of that modification, what else has to be done? Also, is there a difference in a stock for a "magnum" and a "standard" long action in either the 700 or 721? Thanks in advance, guys.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek

I have done this to a few, most recently putting a 721 into a Rimrock synthetic stock made for a 700, and there is a little more than meets the eye although the whole thing is not all that difficult. I will say up front that I never used the one piece triggerguard that comes on a 721 though.

The safety is one area that needs modifying as you mentioned. The bolt handles are a different shape so usually some wood removal is in order there. The triggerguard is the place that presents the biggest challenge. I found that rather than using a BDL it was easier to use an ADL and use either the ADL triggerguard or obtain a BDL triggerguard. It isn't much of a chore to inlet an ADL stoch for a BDL triggerguard. Whatever you decide to do you will probably have to shorten the 721 magazine box because they are usually to deep to fit properly in the 700 stock. After this is all done you will now see that the trigger sits in the center of the trigger guard bow rather than near the back like it was. There are two solutions to this, leave it as is or install a 700 trigger. My solution to this on the 721 in the 700 Rimrock was to install a Shilen trigger that fits a 700 and also use a 700 safety. This takes care of the safety fitting also and I MYSELF believe it is a little safer trigger than the factory Remington is. I don't however, want to start another war over this. I'm just giving you my opinion. Others mileage may vary.

I suppose it would be possible to use the 721 triggerguard but I think I would still begin with an ADL rather than BDL stock to get a more precise fit. If you like, I could post some photos of the Rimrock stocked 721 of my Wife's I referred to, to give a little better idea of what the finished product might look like.

A "magnum" 700 stock usually has a bigger barrel chanel than a "standard" one does from what I have see. I have always used standard model stocks for this conversion.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed comments, Ida. I had no idea that the 721 magazine box was deeper than the 700. And I would have supposed that the 721 bottom metal would have fit the BDL pattern. Thanks for enlightening me.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Bolt handle cut needs to be modified a bit.

The wood near the safety has to be taken down quite a bit.

The tang may need a bit of opening as well - the 721 is a touch wider and thicker than the 700.

721 and 700 barrel contours are not the same, and differ in significant ways.

The 721 mag box is too deep. I think you can fit all new BDL bottom metal OK (Including a BDL mag box).

The 700 trigger is a bit rear of where the 721 trigger comes through, but this shouldn't be a problem.

Summary: it is a pain in the ass (IMO)... find a replacement 721 stock instead.

P.S. I like the 721/722 bottom metal. A lot of people bad mouth it because it is stamped. But it is FAR more durable than the cheap aluminum BDL floorplate (or the wood ADL bottom)... I actually prefer 721/722 bottom metal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your 721 is an early model you may have to inlet the bbl. cannel to allow for the "dog knot" rear sight bulge. If you go to a 700 trigger and safety, the rear of the action tang will have to be relieved to accept the safety lever.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
eddieharren

Actually I have found most 700 safety levers will work on the outside of a 721 tang without relieving them. It is a close fit but they have slid by. I may have just been lucky but that is my experience.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared, I normally set the 722 and 721 actions up in the Bridgeport and make the cut on the tang to be like a 700. I don;t want my safety to drag.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote