Find
Notify
Tools

M1999 stock options
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
Does anybody know who among the list of companys offering stocks is up and running. Looking at Fiberglass. Anybody got a McMillan for their m1999 yet?

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I requested a list of stock suppliers from Montana Rifleman and decided to obtain a synthetic from Basner's. Upon contacting them I found that the stock they produce is for the Winchester 70 short action. They assured me that it could be modified to fit with no problem. The stock they supplied was totaly unfinished with prominant mold marks and was anything but easy to modify. On the plus it is light and quite rigid. I will not buy another.
Most of the stock makers I contacted during this search were also providing Win SA that you had to modify.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bansner told me that their M70 stock would fit a M1999 SA. It did not as it's too low so that the tang sticks out of the stock by 1/8" height wise.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a M1999 that was put into a McMillan Stock. McMillan has the Montana M1999 geometry "footprint" put into their computer assisted machining for most of their stocks. My stock in particular is a proprietary stock for Hill Country Rifles and looks great. HCR's stock design comes from J. Earl Bridges.

If synthetic is your desire, I would recommend that you go the McMillan route.

You might also check into Lone Wolf stocks. They are a company located in Montana and like MRC probably have the M1999 footprint for their stocks.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

McMillan has the Montana M1999 geometry "footprint" put into their computer assisted machining for most of their stocks.

Last I looked, McMillan only had the L/A stocks available. Do they have a S/A available yet?

I too am looking for a couple stocks, for M1999 shorts. I hope we find some viable options.

I've heard the same thing about the M70 stocks. At first, I guess they were "close", and the only real "non-custom" option. But everyone that tried it said there is a lot more work to get them to fit than the stock sellers let on....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore-

I failed to mention my stock is a short action; .300 WSM in fact. FWIW.

Good luck!

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dempsey,
I have an Accurate Innovations stock on order for my 1999
s/a, ss. They are walnut in varying grades with an aluminum bedding block. They list MRC 1999 as one they specifically inlet for. Here's a link to their site: web page

Here's another link to Serengeti stocks. They offer a laminated stock that looks like regular wood, very nice looking & the strength of laminated. web page

Just more choices to muddy the waters a bit..
Good Luck with your project, Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Cold Bore-

I failed to mention my stock is a short action; .300 WSM in fact. FWIW.

Good luck!

That's good news! Thanks!

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Iniatially my plan was to finish a pattern I have in the works and get a blank I bought turned. We recently moved and I don't have a shop built yet and it's getting frustating working out of the spare bedroom for a workshop. I bought a Serengeti stock for a rifle that will be a gift to a family member. I like it well enough but don't want get the blank I have laminated. I may still consider them. Thought about Accurate Innovations as well. I just got so busy lately I want to get it done and shooting! It's a 338-06 wearing a Lilja #4. I checked the sites Montana Rifleman lists and didn't see any referances to the M1999. First choice is McMillan for a synthetic, I'll email them and get a quote and info.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
boyds makes a lam or walnut...
www.boydboys.com

i wouldn't "stoop" to a plastic... but, heck, "if a model 70 SA will work" just buy a model 70 SA plastic off ebay and see how much work THAT would be

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mounted my Swift in a Houge Over-mold. Bedded the action and floor-plate, then floated the barrel. Shoots great and feels great.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The email I received back from Kelly MacMillan stated that they have the MRC 1999 SA inletting pattern in their computer, that it can be put into any of their Winchester style stocks, and at the same pricing structure.

Recoil Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote