New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pillar bedding Mauser-type Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Another thread here has raised a question in my mind: How are actions with the mauser-type recoil blocks best pillar bedded? Everything I've read on the subject indicates only the rear part of the recoil lug should contact the stock. This is easy to achieve when pillar bedding a Rem 700, but mauser-type actions with the action screw hole in the recoil lug are different. Either the pillar contacts the lug and goes against everything I've read, or it does not contact the lug and is therefor practically ineffective as a pillar. Whats the best way to do this? Thanks a lot - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The mauser action as been piller beaded sence 1898. Only thing ti needs to to have the trigger gaurd beaded as well.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks M1, but those thin sleeves aren't often much good after 60 years or so of wood shrinkage. I'm talking about re-stocking a rifle for optimal accuracy where mass production is not an issue. - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownnells sells replace ment tubes for the rear action screw. Another method I have herd about is a poured piller of bead. You could als make a thin steel tube for the rear action screw. You dont have to have a rear piller, but if you want one it is easy to add one to a replacment stack.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
<dfaugh>
posted
Check out this:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/g/s/gsw3/turk/turkmain.html

Show, very well, method of bedding Mauser actions

------------------
"When you listen to Fools, the Mob rules"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfaugh:
Check out this:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/g/s/gsw3/turk/turkmain.html

Show, very well, method of bedding Mauser actions

WOW! That guy sure put a lot of time into that site, Thank's for the URL

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beelzebub,
The rear piller in a mauser insures the angle of the action is correct to match the mating of the front portion...Yes, the Mauser is and was the first piller bedded rifle in the world...You can find mint condition rear pillers at any mauser parts place....or make one out of whatever.

Correction to your post: the original pillers are the correct lenth and the "shrunken wood" you referred to is the problem, not the piller...One must make the wood fit the metal not the reverse....there is a difference.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote