New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to find a pre-64 M70 stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted a "want to buy" ad on the clssified forum looking for a stock for a pre-64 M70. The more I thought about it the more it seemed like gunsmiths and stock makers might have a better idea of where there might be a take off stock lying around.

I'm neither looking for a pristine piece nor a beater. Just a good, original stock retaining the factory steel butt plate, swivels, and finish. One showing "normal" hunting use, but with no deep scratches or serious blemishes that couldn't be taken care of with minor restoration work. I would prefer a low comb, but would like to here about any you might know of. It will be for a standard weight gun with standard length action.

I found some on gunbroker but the price is way over and above anything I was thinking I would have to pay. Is $495 reasonable for one of these stocks? Even though they are described as, and look to be in, factory new condition that still seems to be a bit out there.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look on ebay!

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=Winchester+model+70

Through this search I found several and one guy is selling five Winchester Model 70 sotcks, at least one a pre 64, and the bis is only $102 or so. Not too bad. The search I did was Winchester Model 70. Give it a try.

The other route would be to get an unfinished jobber and put some elbow grease into it. Good Luck!

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
ebay

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I always forget about ebay for non-gun items.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also try web page

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen that guy on gunbroker that has several and he is pretty proud of them at the rediculas price he is asking . He hasnt sold one . You can get a nice fancy walnut stock for less than that price .

Ebay has deals...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP7,

I actually e-mailed the guy on gunbroker today just to get more information from him (I thought the price may have been for 2 stocks). He's sold both at $495 each! When I saw his prices I was beginning to think that I went into this search for a stock a bit of naive. Glad you've all reinforced my thought that he was a bit high.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bodvthunter,,, wow he actually sold one? Some guy had 8 or 10 different ones for sale. I have a 1949 pre 64 model 70 3006 with a nice stock with the meat tenderizer steel but plate that I hate shooting and wish I had another stock with a recoil pad. Maybe I could sell the stock for more than I payed for the whole rifle.

Those pre 64, steel plate, low drop stocks kick horrably. You dont want one for a shootin rifle far as im concerned . Id get a Great American fancy walnut stock for it . You can put a nice pad on it, it has a staighter comb and a way nicer piece of wood.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a surplus one I will part with. It was a 300H&H mag that someone had added a pad and recoil cross bolts to and glass beded with devcon. The workmanship is nice although the stock is not pristine. It has some scratches and looks like it has been used. $85 to the first guy that emails me and offers some shipping. No pictures please; they are a big PITA.

Thanks

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think that one will work for me. Like I said I need one for a standard length action.

Thanks for the offer,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I said I need one for a standard length action.

All same action length. Just the bolt stop and magazine filler is changed?

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote