Find
Notify
Tools

Which is better - Talley or Leupold mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
I am in need of two sets of rings and bases for a 30-06 and 9.3*62. I have decided upon either the Talleys or Leupold PRW's other than price is there any real world difference? Both rifles will have Leupold 2.5*8*36mm scopes.

Thanks, John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect both work...I like the Talleys best fro my guns...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ropes,

I am sitting here looking at two rifles laying on the rug beside the computer. One has the 3-9 Zeiss Conquest in Talley QR mounts and the other a new Leupold VX3 2.5-8 matte in Burris Signature Zee rings.

I wanted to try out the new Leupold and report back to you as to how it compares to a Conquest but it seems that you have already made up your mind and got the Leupold?

In any case here is my take on the mount situation. The Talley mounts are kind of high on the 8400. As you may know they don't make a low base and the rings are high also.

The same is true of the high Signature rings but Weaver style bases are the lowest that I know of if a medium or low mounted scope is important to you.

I wanted to put the 2.5-8 in the Talley rings but they mark up scopes so bad so it's safe to use the Signatures for now.

If your not getting QR mounts then the Signatures are by far the best design.

If optics matter then the Zeiss is far and away superior to the Leupold. If size matters the Leupold is much smaller and lighter.

More tommorrow.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ropes:
I am in need of two sets of rings and bases for a 30-06 and 9.3*62. I have decided upon either the Talleys or Leupold PRW's other than price is there any real world difference? Both rifles will have Leupold 2.5*8*36mm scopes.

Thanks, John

Have you looked at the Warne Premiers? I dont care much for the new Warne maximas but the Premier QD rings are very nice and super strong. You can find the rings on Ebay most of the time for considerably less than Talleys. Premier bases are still made and available through Brownells and Warne. I like the looks of the Premier QD rings better than the Talley.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
I dont care much for the new Warne maximas but the Premier QD rings are very nice and super strong.

What is it about the Maximas that you don't like?

If it is the fact that they are made of sintered steel, then I hope your engineering credentials are superior to those who design engines at Porsche and BMW, because that is what they use for their piston connecting rods.

Oh, one other thing..... Have you performed yield and tensile strength tests according to ASTM norms on both the Maximas and Premiers so that you can say that the Premiers are "super strong"?

Just wondering........ bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose between Talley and Leupold, I would choose Talley without hesitation.

But Warne Maximas are entirely statisfactory and are about 60% of the cost of Talleys.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Ropes - how bout the best of both worlds?

I've got a set of 1" Talley QD I'll sell you.

PM me if you want them.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both and find that they both work well. I would give a clear edge to Talley for overall strengh and looks but they are a real pain in the ass to properly mount the scope in the rings compared to other brands. Too damn many screws and they do require time to mount properly. Once done however they work very well. I am of course comparing lever mounts to lever mounts.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the last few sets of rings I've bought were warne, fine so far

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Talley

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talley

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
quote:
I dont care much for the new Warne maximas but the Premier QD rings are very nice and super strong.

If it is the fact that they are made of sintered steel, then I hope your engineering credentials are superior to those who design engines at Porsche and BMW, because that is what they use for their piston connecting rods.

Oh, one other thing..... Have you performed yield and tensile strength tests according to ASTM norms on both the Maximas and Premiers so that you can say that the Premiers are "super strong"?

Just wondering........ bewildered

I just dont care for their looks. They are a bit bulky looking compared the Premiers. I do have Maximas on some of my rifles and they are more than strong enough. I was in no way bashing the Maximas, I just think the Premiers are slimmer, trimmer, and better looking.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just dont care for their looks. They are a bit bulky looking compared the Premiers. I do have Maximas on some of my rifles and they are more than strong enough. I was in no way bashing the Maximas, I just think the Premiers are slimmer, trimmer, and better looking.

Fair enough. I just thought you were one of those guys who bashes anything metallurgical that they do not understand, and do so with zero knowledge of metallurgy and engineering.

Sorry.

Now, as I understand, Warne discontinued the Premiers in the last year or two. Did they not?

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Now, as I understand, Warne discontinued the Premiers in the last year or two. Did they not?

Yes, Warne quit making the Premier rings and replaced them with their 7.3 rings. They still offer the bases though. You can find still in the package Premier rings on Ebay for fairly decent prices.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Talleys without hesitation. Don't over tighten them.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Ropes,

If optics matter then the Zeiss is far and away superior to the Leupold. If size matters the Leupold is much smaller and lighter.

More tommorrow.

I have not ordered the scopes just waiting for time to sit and do so. And every other rifle I own has a Leupold scope and leupold bases rings, with the exception of one Weaver K4 in weaver mounts and rings.

I was just wanting to try something different. Did you find the Zeiss that much better than the Leupold?.

I should just quit being lazy and drive to SWFA and compare the two..

I was also not aware that the Talleys were known for marking up scopes. Did you lap them or not?

As for Warnes vs Talleys I just searched here and the Talleys appeared to have a better reputaion. Again I should just order a set of both and decide for myself..

Thanks, John

John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had good success with Talleys using them on 460 Weatherbys and 500 A-Squares.

On the other hand, had Warne rings break on a 6/250 rifle.

Have not had any trouble with Leupolds.

All samples too small to be meaningful.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I am surprised has not come up is the terrible baked on finish Warne applies to its rings. THis finish can't be blasted off and must be buffed off. Chemicals won't touch it. THe Warne rings are clunkier, finishes to a far less degree, come with the previously mentioned baked on (very cheap looking) finish, and basically just all around look and feel cheaper than Talleys to me.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I recommend.....

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Talley

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Leupold

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both,but I like the Talley's better.

Posts: 91 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ropes:
quote:
Ropes,

More tommorrow.

I have not ordered the scopes just waiting for time to sit and do so. And every other rifle I own has a Leupold scope and leupold bases rings, with the exception of one Weaver K4 in weaver mounts and rings.

I was just wanting to try something different. Did you find the Zeiss that much better than the Leupold?.

I should just quit being lazy and drive to SWFA and compare the two..

I was also not aware that the Talleys were known for marking up scopes. Did you lap them or not?

As for Warnes vs Talleys I just searched here and the Talleys appeared to have a better reputaion. Again I should just order a set of both and decide for myself..

Thanks, John

John

John,

I only glanced thru the new Leu 2.5-8 and compared it to one 3-9 Conquest on the back porch. The Conquest seemed superior in terms of making things out at the same 4X. Tommorrow I will shoot with both and do a much more complete test.

The Talley rings are closed too much like some others. They are rough inside also. I run a ground 1" rod back and forth and that knocks off some of the high spots. Then bend each ring open a little before putting them on a scope. That's the major cause of damage to scopes for me is getting them on and off.

When you tighten up the ring it will pull together just fine.

You might ask me what the heck I bought the Leu for anyway? Well I like small scopes. If Conquest made small scopes I would buy a half dozen of them right off.

Anybody who wants to can meet me at the range tommorrow in CT. Just PM me.

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

They are over engineered (my 2 screw premiers have never slipped despite the rifle being dropped once and fallen on once) butt ugly, painted not blued, no longer supplied in low for Sakos or Brno's, don't fit older Sako's so well etc etc.

The Maximas are made as they are because it is cheaper to manafacture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
quote:

They are over engineered (my 2 screw premiers have never slipped despite the rifle being dropped once and fallen on once) butt ugly, painted not blued, no longer supplied in low for Sakos or Brno's, don't fit older Sako's so well etc etc.

The Maximas are made as they are because it is cheaper to manafacture.

The finish on Maximas is a subjective issue. I like them just fine.

I no longer have a Sako, but I do have a CZ and the medium height Maximas are just perfect in height. Any lower and the scope's occular bell would foul the bolt handle.

Do you actually know how much it costs to make something out of sintered steel (including tooling and machinery costs) compared to milling the same part out of bar stock, or are you just offering an opinion based on no knowledge of manufacturing techniques and costs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I no longer have a Sako, but I do have a CZ and the medium height Maximas are just perfect in height. Any lower and the scope's occular bell would foul the bolt handle.

Do you actually know how much it costs to make something out of sintered steel (including tooling and machinery costs) compared to milling the same part out of bar stock, or are you just offering an opinion based on no knowledge of manufacturing techniques and costs?

The painted finish is out of keeping when added to a blued rifle - I will admit it doesn't rust.

Re Height - the lowest they do is 0.4" even with a 42mm objective that leaves 0.1" barrel clearance on a Sako and a bit more for a ZG. It is easy enough to modify the bolt for clearance.

Re costs I'm going on what my rifesmith said which seeing as he was an engineer is likely pretty close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The painted finish is out of keeping when added to a blued rifle - I will admit it doesn't rust.

Re Height - the lowest they do is 0.4" even with a 42mm objective that leaves 0.1" barrel clearance on a Sako and a bit more for a ZG. It is easy enough to modify the bolt for clearance.

Re costs I'm going on what my rifesmith said which seeing as he was an engineer is likely pretty close.

Since the scope on my CZ is a matte black, the rings' 'color fits it just fine.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on scope height, as that is a personal thing.

As for sintered vs. milled, if your gunsmith is an engineer, then he should know that both Porsche and BMW use sintered steel piston con rods. Sometimes "cheaper" IS better.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
The Warne Premier rings are milled and blued. They are not the same rings as the current Maximas. When I get home I will post some pics of the Premier rings.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99,
You state that you bend each ring open with Talley mounts, please explain to me why you do this, I just cannot imagine why you are doing this?????????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Warne Premier rings are milled and blued. They are not the same rings as the current Maximas.

Go here and hereto get an idead of what sintered steel and metal injection molding is all about.

I'll take Maximas made with "cheap" powdered metal any day, thank you.

posted Hide Post
I like the Tally lightweights. You can overtighten them though, so be careful.

Posts: 23 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Savage 99,
You state that you bend each ring open with Talley mounts, please explain to me why you do this, I just cannot imagine why you are doing this?????????

Ray,

This is what I posted above: "The Talley rings are closed too much like some others. They are rough inside also. I run a ground 1" rod back and forth and that knocks off some of the high spots. Then bend each ring open a little before putting them on a scope. That's the major cause of damage to scopes for me is getting them on and off.

When you tighten up the ring it will pull together just fine."

The outside corners of each ring top and bottom hit the scope tube. If one bends it open a tiny bit the ring goes on fine and cause of scratching is eliminated. Some other brands are just as bad that way.

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is what I posted above: "The Talley rings are closed too much like some others. They are rough inside also. I run a ground 1" rod back and forth and that knocks off some of the high spots. Then bend each ring open a little before putting them on a scope. That's the major cause of damage to scopes for me is getting them on and off.

Hmmmm, I had to do nothing of the sort to the two sets of Warne Maximas that I have. One of the advantages of sintered steel is the lack of burrs and sharp edges left from the manufacturing process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

painted not blued,

I suspect that the metallurgical composition of sintered steel does not lend itself to the chemical reaction in blueing. But that's just my educated guess and not an ironclad reason.

There may be other reasons, such as powder coating being a much more environmentally friendly process (less costly in the hazardous waste disposal department) than blueing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is not a nicer man in the firearms industry than Dave Talley and even tho he is not full time in the business anymore, his true concern for the needs of his customers is evident if you have ever done any business with them. That alone is sufficient reason to choose Talleys over the others in a heartbeat. Not to mention they are a helluva lot more Murphy proof than Leupie QD mounts.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote