New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose bolt, is it the spring?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
See if I can describe this well. On a few of my rifles, the sporterized military rifles, the bolt seems to have a bit of play in it. if you have it closed, grab the handle, you can lift if a little ways with no trouble. you can take it in a couple of fingers and jiggle it basically.

My question is, is this normal? Or is it possibly a weak main/firing pin spring? I have one 98 that is not like that, and it is one that the spring was replaced in.

Thanks all.

red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
On a few of my rifles, the sporterized military rifles, the bolt seems to have a bit of play in it. if you have it closed, grab the handle, you can lift if a little ways with no trouble. you can take it in a couple of fingers and jiggle it basically.

My question is, is this normal?

In an unloaded gun: yes. In a loaded gun: no.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Dago Red---

Look at how the cocking piece fits in the cocking cam. That tells you exactly how much play there should be. If there's play between the cocking piece and cam, but not in the assembled rifle, it means the bolt handle is improperly fit to the action or stock. It causes flyers, too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano, It is on an unloaded chamber, on a loaded chamber there is no problem with this.

Jack, I will have to check that tonight. I will take a look at my book first to make sure I am looking at the right parts. :-)

So there might be play between the cocking piece and cam, and if so and it is still there when the rifle is assembled then it is O.K.?

Thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote