Find
Notify
Tools

What cartridge for 1916 Mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I have two 1916 Spanish Mausers. I don't think they are 1893 Mausers because they have dates later than 1920 on the receivers and are marked with a crown instead of the crossed rifles. Anyway, I believe they are suited only for low pressure rounds and I was debating what round to rebarrel them for. One already has a 7x57 barrel and I may leave it alone. The other I was thinking of 35 Remington or 7.62x39. I have access to cheap barrels and was wondering if anyone could recommend some low power rounds that brass is still available for or can be formed easily. Any ideas?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 257 Roberts would be a good one...or the 6.5x55...both are great rounds and don't have to be hot rodded to be effective...

Zeeriverrat1

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
.300 Savage would be a good choice -- S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
9.3 x 57 or 9.5 x 57 are both nice low pressure rounds to shoot and much more effective than the 35 Rem. You can use 8 x 57 brass or buy some properly headstamped.

If I wanted a .30 I'd go with South40's suggestion and try the Savage.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I had not thought of the 9.3x57. Good choice.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesYou'll be controlling the pressure with your own hand loads in which case cartridge choice becomes less critical. I would opt for a 6.5x55. Now if you rebarrel it to a lower pressure cartridge and sell it to a reloader the idea of a lower pressure cartridge is mute. It will see higher pressures. My experiences with the 1916 Mauser sold as .308 was far from rewarding.

There are so many ecconomical toys out there the 1916 Mauser doesn't get much of my attention any more. lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,

If they weren't free they would get none of my attention. They are about the funkiest Mauser variant I have seen.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing about building a 6.5X55 only to shoot low pressures is that its not cost effective.

Why not buy a nice little sporterized 96 and call it a day?

Over time I think you realize why put money into a lost cause when it costs less to just buy exactly or near what you want in the first place?

-Spencer

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the 7.62 X 39. Then you can have a cheap gun with plenty of cheap ammo to go with it.

Hell, it might even get shot a lot!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote