Find
Notify
Tools

5th round magazine problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Help!
on my CZ 550 in 9.3x62mm, when I load the 5th round into the fixed magazine, that round is not stable. It pivots on the shoulder with little finger pressure, which clicks the head into and out of the path of the bolt so if I'm not very careful the bolt will not pick up the cartridge and will close on an empty chamber. Is this a problem with the plastic follower perhaps? Are steel followers available? Or is it something else? Please help, experts.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ask the folks on the CZ Forum:
http://wwww.czforum.com/

-Morgan

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The steel followers are no longer available, according to CZ. Is not your problem more of a magazine problem? I just bought one of them yesterday. Will try it and report back!

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .375 does the same thing. Very disconcerting.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Interboat,

Well, I tried my new CZ in 9.3. I can get 5 down but it is really tight. And yes the top round will wiggle out of alignment if pushed.

Also getting the 6th round into the chamber is really difficult due to the very tight packing of the magazine.

I believe the solution is not to believe it is a 5 round capacity magazine. It is really a 4 round capacity magazine, and the 5th round can be feed directly into the chamber. Then everything works just fine.

It just simply will not hold 5 rounds (correctly?). Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Will. It's just that in the heat of battle I might forget it's a four-round magazine and shove a fifth one in and close the bolt on an empty chamber. I'm thinking of having the box widened ever so slightly. What do you think?

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm no gunsmith, so I wouldn't want to make any hard and fast recommendations.

If you don't mind how it looks, you could add a few washers between the trigger guard and stock (thru the screws) which would drop the guard down a bit and take some of the pressure off the fifth round. This would be easier than making a new magazine box. Of course, I could get stoned for suggesting such a thing!

P.S. Heat of the moment? My guess is that will only occur when hunting dangerous game, and the 9.3 wouldn't be my first choice! If mine goes at all, it will be just to keep my 416 company.