New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husky M98 Ejector Problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a Husky M98 that will not eject. I guess that the ejector spring is broken.

Question: How to remove the top from the "box" to get at the ejector spring and where to find a new spring??

Thanks;
Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brett:
Have a Husky M98 that will not eject. I guess that the ejector spring is broken.

you're probably right about that!

Question: How to remove the top from the "box" to get at the ejector spring and where to find a new spring??

the ejector box on the M98 is a simple recessed box with with another recess to slide the ejector spring in and out incase of a break. To remove the spring you must first remove the bolt, then unscrew the ejector box screw which will disengage the ejector box from the action, then with your thumb slide the topmost part of the box, if it doesnt budge, spray a little WD-40 into it and let it seep in before rapping it lightly with a wooden dowel, you'll have to fish out the brokin leaf-spring in a similar fashion. I've broken my ejector spring on my M98 375H&H too and havent beeen able to find a replacement ever since!Cool

zubin

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Is the Husky M98 built on the Model 98/40 action. If so they ahve the spring here:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1780zG98/40

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

It's actually a Husqvarna model 146 which is built on a Mauser M98 large ring action.

Brett

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Then I'm confused there is no ejector spring on a M98. The ejector juts through the bolt and the rearward force of the bolt pushes the case out.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the ejector is broken. It's there but doesn't jut into the slot in the bolt face.

Brett

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Then I'm confused there is no ejector spring on a M98. The ejector juts through the bolt and the rearward force of the bolt pushes the case out.

The outside surface of the ejector box is a flat (leaf)spring that holds the ejector firmly in place.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TT

Got it, any idea what's going on? I'll take it apart again this eveining and have a look. It must be a broken ejector...

Brett

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The outside surface of the ejector box is a flat (leaf)spring that holds the ejector firmly in place

Never seen the flat spring break quess it could. The bolt release would work right and you wouldn't feel much if any pressure if you take the bolt out and try and puxh the ejector to the side.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They are pretty damned reliable. Sometimes they get abused, sometimes they just go bad. Had the v-spring on a rolling block fail a while back...I was thumbing the block back and heard a "snap" and afterward the breech was flapping back and forth freely.

It didn't fail in the crotch like I would have suspected, one of the legs of the vee just snapped in two.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett:
...Got it, any idea what's going on? I'll take it apart again this eveining and have a look. It must be a broken ejector...Brett
Hey Brett, I wonder if the previous owner removed it because he fired a lot from the Bench?

I'm used to catching cases as they clear the Loading Port, but "maybe" he took it out.

Don't take this as a Slam on your rifle, but I thought the CRF supporters primarily use Mausers because they NEVER break, never have feed issues and never fail to fire.

Perhaps I just need to read more of the Mauser and M70 threads.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear All,

I'm supprised and happy to tell you that the problem was simply that the ejector slot in the receiver was so full of gunk that the ejector could hardly move. A good cleaning has it working good as new...

Brett

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Love it when a plan comes together. cheers

As usual just my $.02
Paul K