Find
Notify
Tools

MUSHROOMING PRIMERS
 Login/Join

<metalic matt>
posted
JUST BOUGHT SAVAGE 11F 22-250.
SPENT CASE SHOWS FIRING PIN HOLE IN PRIMER SEEMS TO FIT INTO FIRING PIN HOLE. REMINGTON ROUNDS FROM WALMART. RAN RELOADS WITH WW PRIMERS AND MIN 34 GRS. H4895 AND 40 GR SIERRA. ALMOST NO SIGN OF MUSHROOM. RAN FEDERAL FACTORY AMMO ALMOST NO SIGN OF MUSHROOMING/
WHAT CAN IT BE??

THANKS,
MATT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, this symptom you describe, what I call "Primer Splash" where the metal looks like it is "splashing" back at you can only be cause by one of two things I can think of.

1. High Pressure
2. Something wrong with bolt/firing pin.

The fact your problem only occurs with Remington ammo, if I read you correctly, tends to rule out a mechanical problem.

Either the Remington ammo is hotter than the rest or their primer is SOFTER than the rest.

Do you get any other signs of high pressure with the Remington ammo? (Sticky bolt etc.?)

I suspect the factory ammo is all going to be loaded to about the same length, but you might mike the different brands to see if there is a different seating depth. And we are just grasping at straws with that test.

IF the Remington ammo is showing NO other signs of pressure other than a little primer splash, I don't think I would worry much about it. Shoot it up and don't use Remington ammo any more.
Avoid the problem may be the easiest fix. If you have any Remington primers, I would be curious to know what happens when you fire a reload with Remington primer.

But this is my guess. Unless something else shows up with other ammo or in your reloads, blow it off as flakey lot of factory ammo and go on about your business.

Oh, I am also assuming you are shooting the same weight bullet between brands?

Let us know what you figure out. This is a strange one as you describe it. [Confused]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt:

This sounds like the Remington ammo is too short in the base-to-shoulder dimension to headspace properly in your chamber. The Federal ammo may be just a tad longer, and therefore headspaces adequately.

The "mushroom" appearance of the primer is a classic sign of excessive headspace (the force of the firing pin shoves the whole cartridge foward in the chamber, then the primer is pushed partially out of its pocket on ignition; then the case is pushed back hard against the bolt face, flattening the primer and giving it a mushroomed appearance). In my opinion, there is no such thing as a gun with excessive headspace, just ammunition which does not headspace properly in a given gun.

The give-away is your very light handload. It would not likely exhibit much sign of excessive headspace since it is very light and would run a very low pressure.

Headspace is a frequently misunderstood concept by many shooters. I won't go into how to adapt your ammunition to it here, but if standard brands of factory loads show excessive headspace, you should probably have your rifle sent back to the factory for reassembly. Unlike most bolt actions, a knowledgeable gunsmith could adjust the headspace on the Savage because of its unique barrel mounting arrangement with a jambnut. Anyway, Savage should make this right (and you'll only have to wait a few months and make about a dozen phone calls to the customer service department to get your rifle back.) Come to think of it, you're probably better off taking the gun to a gunsmith, having him check and correct the headspace, and paying for it out of your pocket. The time and shipping/phone expenses will pay for the gunsmithing.

[ 06-26-2002, 23:18: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Headspace, firing pin hole needs bushing, to high pressures....one of the above...

I would send the gun to the factory or to a competent gunsmith....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote