Find
Notify
Tools

Email from Dakota Arms
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dakota Arms Sees Significant Gains

Sturgis, South Dakota - The number of rifles coming off the production line at Dakota Arms, Inc. in July was up 42 percent over the number of rifles manufactured in January. Expected revenues from rifles and actions built in July represent a 72 percent increase over the value of January's production.

Patrick Franklin, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Dakota Arms, attributed the company's performance to improved production efficiencies and smarter deployment of human capital.

Franklin joined Dakota Arms in June with over 30 years of management, sales and entrepreneurial experience in a broad range of industries. Most recently he was the founder of a semiconductor metrology company in Silicon Valley that manufactures tools to measure contamination in the computer chip making processes.

"We recruited Pat for the General Manager position because we knew that his unique skill set was exactly what we needed to take Dakota Arms to the next level of revenue growth and manufacturing efficiency. He has brought his considerable talents, energy and enthusiasm to the company and we are already seeing the results in the company's bottom line," said Charlie Kokesh, Chairman of Dakota Arms.

Franklin said, "The Dakota Arms mission statement is 'We make the best custom-made rifles in the world.' The proof is in the high standards of craftsmanship for which Dakota Arms products are universally recognized. The men and women who work for this company have no peers in the firearms industry. They are simply the best at their craft. All we have done is help them do their jobs more effectively by revisiting the planning process and integrating logic and consistency into our systems."

Working closely with plant supervisors, Franklin has undertaken several new initiatives, including the development of a 120-day production schedule that will coordinate customer orders, raw material scheduling, tooling and parts ordering, production and shipments to customers. Mitch Harmon has been promoted to Production Manager to spearhead the production effort.

Franklin acknowledged the history of lengthy delays in delivery that has had a negative effect on customer satisfaction and the financial viability of the company. "The goal is to deliver products to customers within four months from the day the order is taken. This will be accomplished without sacrificing any of the qualities that make a Dakota Arms rifle so special - accuracy, reliability and beauty," Franklin said. "We are well along the path toward achieving this goal."

In addition to making changes on the production floor, Franklin has also recruited a new Controller for the company. Corena Carmichael, a CPA with several years of experience in financial analysis and reporting, audit and purchasing, will join the company in September to keep a firm hand on the budgetary side of the new manufacturing strategy.

In other personnel changes, Franklin has expanded the sales team and implemented a sales incentive plan, which will focus efforts on building retail and dealer sales at the national level. Marla Heble, who has been with the company since 2001, is now a fulltime member of the sales team, joining National Sales Manager Richard Spruill. "Dakota Arms is an industry icon. As word gets out that production is moving full-steam ahead under new management, we are confident that sales will continue to build to record levels," Franklin said.

Dakota Arms is the leading manufacturer of custom and semi-custom rifles for the sporting markets. The Dakota product lines are universally recognized for outstanding quality, design, accuracy and aesthetic appeal. The Dakota brands include Nesika, Miller Arms and Dan Walter Cases. Nesika produces actions and rifles renowned for their exceptional accuracy; Miller Arms is known for the reliability and performance of its single-shot actions and custom rifles; and Dan Walter Cases are regarded as the premier travel case for shotguns and rifles.

In business for over 25 years, Dakota Arms is strongly anchored in the Black Hills of South Dakota and provides significant economic benefit to the entire region. Recent new hires have brought the number of employees to 40.

Media Contact:
Patrick Franklin (605)347-4686

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I still think they're doomed to fail, again.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I wish them all the best. I hope one day they talk about the old Dakota like they talk about the AMF Harley Davidson today. Just something bad that happened in the past. Of coarse Dakota still has Charlie, maybe he learned something from the last go round.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Dakota cartridge designs, and have a couple rifles chambered in them. I commissioned a custom sometime right before all the silliness began, and now there is no such thing as 300 Dakota brass, what a bitch....I think I may be stuck with a rebarrel, I just can't stand reforming brass and having improperly headstamped stuff.....I hope they make it back, it seems they make quality products from all the reports I've seen, I'd rather have another functioning gun co. as opposed to one less.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope Dakota can keep going. But..... It looks to me that they are doing the same thing they have done over and over in the past looking for different results. Anyone know the correct term for this? Throwing huge chunks of money at a problem with new management's BIG $ wages and the latest greatest NEW management plan. Paying management who can't walk through the shop, spot a problem and quickly fix it or at least find someone who can fix it. PERMANENTLY!!!!! The separate satellite shops inside Dakota from machine shop, polishing, stock making, finishing/checkering, to final assembly are constantly working against each other stacking up problems that come to a head in final assembly. When it's there, sales & management can just taste the $ale and chicken hawk the rifles out the door. Sales & Management are usually paid on how much $$$ goes out the door each month and not fined for each problem that comes back. They "S&M" have a "sharp stick" prodding the process knowing the padding in their check depends on it. When the monthly shipping $#s slip below the projected, new management's solution is to start AIMLESSLY pointing fingers downstairs because management can't honestly figure out the real problems themselves and admit it. Gotta save face you know. I know Dakota should run well like a normal business. It can't and doesn't without those in charge having detailed product/process knowledge and the ability to govern and delegate appropriately. It's never mattered what skills or education they have if not rifle related.

Again I sincerely hope Dakota can keep going. I just see history repeating itself.
archer

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'am guessing the increased sales a Dakota is mostly due to people wanting an action that closely followed the Winchester M70 in form and function and would have bought a M70 rifle from the now out of business Winchester M70 works or its custom shop.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I hope they get their problems solved and got rid of , we can`t afford to loose another big gunmaker.

I like the Dakota cartridges, they are a fine way of getting the most of a an standard receiver lenght round to a fine magnum round.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1,

big difference IMHO, George Steinbrenner saved HD from the same fate that befell Indian. He found out about the japanese dumping bikes here below cost and the government's "assistance" over there and leveled the playing field...when he felt HD could run with the big boys again (they couldn't even spell CNC or CAD/CAM) he let them go. I'm still not a Yankees fan, but we do owe the man a little thank-you!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I road my HD yesterday. It has been a month since to punks stole a truck and run it up in my driveway hitting my Silverado and my HD.
Still dont have every thing fixed yet. Waiting on the wanker insurance companies to write the checks.

Hope everything works out for Dakota. Hope managemant doesnt pay themselves more than there worth.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
TC1,

big difference IMHO, George Steinbrenner saved HD from the same fate that befell Indian. He found out about the japanese dumping bikes here below cost and the government's "assistance" over there and leveled the playing field...when he felt HD could run with the big boys again (they couldn't even spell CNC or CAD/CAM) he let them go. I'm still not a Yankees fan, but we do owe the man a little thank-you!

Rich
DRSS

Idaho Sharpshooter, the sentence was just a generalization, nothing more. Harley Davidson could have been easily replaced by 2 or 3 other companies off the top of my head. The sentence was in reference to what people say more than the companies history. That said, I appreciate the corporate history lesson.

Enjoy the board, I think I'm going to leave for awhile.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just see history repeating itself.

I once flew in a fighter group that operated like your description of Dakota. The result was the same. It made the top ten on the last base closure and realignment list.

Someone else with the real skills that you describe will take over that market segment.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
May the band continue to play the
"Ashoken Farewell" as the water continues to pour over the sides of the gunnels.
Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"human capital" good grief!

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote