New
Find
Notify
Tools

JC Higgins model 51
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone describe this for me? Is it an FN action? How about safety location, type of bottom metal (hinged?), and style of stock?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J.C. Higgins (Sears) marketed bolt action rifles made on both the FN Mauser and Winchester 70 actions. I can' remember which is which, but I believe the 51 is the FN and the 53 is the Winchester. Also, I think both pre-64 CRF model 70's and post-64 push feeds were used, and may have different model numbers.

The FN model was very similar to the contemporary FN sporters of the day. It will likely have the cocking piece safety of the '98 and a non-adjustable trigger. You are most likely to encounter one in .270 or .30-06.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've owned 2 M-51's. They had FN Deluxe actions, cocking piece safety, military type bottom metal, just like factory FN Deluxe Sporters, but without the FN crest. The side of the actions are marked "FN action, Made in Belgium", and they have FN and Belgium proof marks. Some have longer than standard hole spacing on the rear bridge. The only difference I can tell from the M-50's is the M-51's have a checkered stock with a high cheekpiece. The stocks are fairly nice, classic style but the inletting is usually poor. I've bedded the barreled actions to the stock, reshaped them a little, added an ebony forend tip, steel grip cap, Old English pad, and recheckered- which makes a pretty nice semi-custom rifle for a low cost.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The model 51 is usually a plain stocked FN Mauser
the model 53 is a Model 70 copy. The 53 is pretty
common in my area and sell fairly cheap, the 51
isnt as common and seems to sell for more. The
only calibers I'v encountered in both models are
270 and 30-06. I wouldnt mind having a good 51
to rebarrel to another caliber.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replies.

Fla3006, any chance of pics? The basis for my question was a quest for a walnut stock for my FN in 8x57. Looks like I found my answer. I was just worried it would look like some butt-ugly 1950's Weatherby stock.

Be well,
Todd

[ 11-25-2003, 01:47: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Todd- Sorry but I don't have any Higgins pics, don't even have any Higgins rifles anymore. Best thing to do if all you need is a stock for an FN barreled action is to watch eBay. I see take-off stocks on there from time to time that will work on commercial Mausers, even if they weren't originally cut for an FN. Will most likely need glass bedding to get a good fit, reshaping, checkering, etc. but they usually sell cheap and some actually have decent figure in the wood.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually I've already made arrangements to pick up a model 51 stock for sale -- given that they are not common, I thought it best to buy first and ask questions later. But I'm really curious what I'll get in the mail. Rifle (Husky 640) currently has a beech stock with no cheek piece. I prefer walnut, and a cheek piece. The fit of the current stock is also a little loose -- way oversized inletting. It's starting to come together nicely though -- it now wears a Leupold 3-9x (was already tapped) which will eventually have QD rings, I've obtained a proper Lyman rear sight for it, and have a line on an FN left-sided scope friendly safety.

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd-

Pictures of J.C. Higgins Model 51 headed your way.

Best regards,

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Not to confuse matters, but there was also a J.C. Higgens Model 51-L. This had a HVA (small ring type) action. I have one and the stock is relatively plain, with checkering and a raised comb (not a Monte Carlo, and no cheekpiece).

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually they are quite common and can be had for about $250 to $300 as a rule and they have been going up lately...I have bought a lot of them for $150 until the last year...They are good FN commercial actions, will work for anything up to a 375 or 458, but I would not use the hi-vel intence cartridges such as the 7 stw etc. in any FN action...A good Mod 98 is a better stronger action IMO.....I have seen several cases of headspace develope with FN using the 7 STW, and probably max loads...Brockmon, Belk and Grissel tell me they are better used for the less pressured rounds above...

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

E-mail sent w/ another e-mail address (no size limit).

Thank you,
Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also RE: the model 51L, I was fortunately made aware of that before I bought this one. I was assured it was for a large ring, standard length Mauser 98. We'll see. Time to get rid of more uninspiring rifles, and look for more of these. A 30-06 would be nice.

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was surfing GUNBROKER today and found an H&R
FN Mauser stock. Just checked a little while ago
and its gone.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a JC higgins 51 .270 . Its a FN made in Belgiun Mauser action ,Military type floor plate, Has a walnut stock , Cheek piece and checkering . Its all origanal and in like new condition. Nice rifle and shoots pretty tight groups.
Ive seen the model 50 with no cheek piece and no checkering

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the EARLY 60s JC Higgins models 50, 51, and 51 Deluxe were FN Mausers. A 51L was a Husqvarna. and a 52 was a Sako.
Barrels are said to have been from High Standard, stocks from an American company, maybe Bishop or Fajen.

In the LATE 60s, a plain Sears 53 was a Winchester 670 and a Ted Williams 53 was a Winchester 70. I think these were all Winchester manufacture, just with Sears or Ted Williams markings.

Best I can tell, they changed sources from FN to Winchester about the time they changed sports department spokesman from JC Higgins (maybe fictional, maybe a company employee, stories differ) to undoubtedly well known Ted Williams.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up two J.C. Higgins, (1)Model 50, plain Jane, no checkering, (1)Model 51, checkered and really nice. Both are FN actions made the same time Browning was making their beautiful rifles on this same action. Browning and J.C. Higgings same, same action. If a Browning can hold it so can a J.C. Higgins at a tenth of the price.

My Model 50 was so ugly, I only noticed it on the gun shelf at a local dealer because of the FN marking. I didn't check on the caliber or the scope on it. We negotiated the price down to $90 because the stock was repaired horribly and no bluing left on the rifle. I only wanted the action for a 9.3X62 or 64. On closer inspection it was an '06 (one of my favorite calibers) and had an older Lyman 4X scope. I punched the bore, mint. Ok, I took it to the range and it was perfectly sighted and shoots discussingly regular 1 1/4" groups. Well now I'm looking for another one since old ugly and I have made friends.

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are few for sale on the gunbroker right now, but they are going too high for me to buy them....

The FN is a good action, but it is not a Mauser its an FN...It will not handle the high intensity rounds like a 7 STW,the RUMs and these new overloaded monstrousities, I have seen several latey that developed headspace. One is presently at Brockmans for him to "repair". It was another gunsmiths boo boo not Brockmans...

For most rounds including 375 etc. they are a great action...

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
My late dad made tooling or fixtures for High Standard when they were making the M 50 and 51's for Sears. I recall waiting in the car while he was in their shop. It was in an industrial park setting in New Haven, CT. This must have been about 1949 or 1950. My dad tried to get one free but he ended up paying about $55 for a M 51 new. I think he got one for his brother as well.

I still have that rifle and it still shoots quite well. He coated the stock with some heavy clear finish and added a Beuhler safety. I think the barrels were chrome plated inside also.