Find
Notify
Tools

New action building
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted
Okay so I've been working with metal for a long time and I've worked with firearms for a long time, so I think it's about that time to start getting into the scene. Anyone here ever built any rifle actions?

I'm planning on working up a bolt-action out of 4140, and I'm planning to shape it as a hybrid of a Tikka and a Remington.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have access to a broaching machine or an EDM?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can avoid the hurdle of "broached or WEDM raceways" by using a full diameter bolt design. Look at Halls, Texas Magnum, Wby, etc. The front of the action can be an insert that has the barrel threads and lug abutments. Geske has done this and Sauer, I think.
A friend and I did one like this and it worked pretty good.
If you have Wire EDM available, go with the raceways.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A hybrid.. like the AI action?

Is it just for you, or are you planning on selling it?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help! I'm working with a CNC Mill and a CNC lathe...so I imagine it's going to take a little hand finishing. I've got broaches as well.

Actually OMJ, that idea completely skipped my mind and I thank you, that is a wonderful idea. I think I'll actually have to add that to my blueprints...

Nortman, actually I'm thinking about keeping the first as a test bed, making necessary improvements from there and making another one and selling the better action. I'll let you know how this project comes along alright?

-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search for Timan here on AR. Just recently he posted photos of a couple of his actions. He uses the same type of equipment you have and works out of a small shop, and makes absolutely gorgeous actions.

Here, I did it for you.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/166107244

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All right...I'm covered head to toe in steel shavings and I can't really discern my own skin color anymore...and it's way past my bed time. But I have the basis of a action started, and thank you all for your help and suggestions!

I'm not going to post any pictures until I actually have it looking a little more like a action and not a high-tech lump of steel.

As for now, I'm going to bed, I've been working at this thing for over 12 hours now. Updates will follow!

-Dr. Ski

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill Holmes has a book out that covers this using a 3 lug full diameter bolt. "Master Gunmaker's Guide to Building Bolt-Action Rifles"
it is available from Amazon.com. I have it and it covers everything in fairly decent detail. Including a M70 type trigger and a sideswing safety. He uses a hardened tapered/stepped broach and has a machine shop press it through the receiver.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that the Remington/xxxx hybrid has already been done often enough by Ed Brown, HS Precision, Nesika and others. I'm wondering why it would be really worth the time to make another?.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't want to rain on your parade, but like DJ I think the action you are describing has been done to death.

With that being said, I think there is a huge market for a trim single shot that can handle .308 class of cartidges. Have you seen a centerfire Browning low wall recently? The prices are crazy. Hagn and others are making the size action I want, but are charging quite a bit for them. See what you can do with the single shot...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Metalsmith. I have some threaded inserts broached for the locking lugs to fit. I also have some bolt noses machined to fit your bolt. I would be happy to give you one of each to study. This would keep you from having to broach or EDM your raceways. E-mail me @ papawlambert@starband.net.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Done to death or not this sounds like a blast have fun good luck let us know how it turns out.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello all again, unfortunately I'm posted on duty currently so I can't begin working on that action again until this weekend. However I took some heart into what has been said, that this is a over done to death project. DJ, you are correct, I completely forgot about most of the custom action builders who've done this already.
Now that ain't gonna take my glory though. I've redone my blueprints last night and came up with a new concept. What's been overdone is the basis of all bolt-action rifles, a basic turn-bolt action. I've come up with blueprints for a new design that isn't a turn bolt, instead utilizing a dropping lug action. I plan on making a dummy reciever out of aluminum for function testing than producing a steel receiver later for a actual firearm.
Thank all of you for your support and I guarantee that you won't be dissapointed in the end!

Kevin

-Dr. Ski

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Metalsmith:
Hello all again, unfortunately I'm posted on duty currently so I can't begin working on that action again until this weekend. However I took some heart into what has been said, that this is a over done to death project. DJ, you are correct, I completely forgot about most of the custom action builders who've done this already.
Now that ain't gonna take my glory though. I've redone my blueprints last night and came up with a new concept. What's been overdone is the basis of all bolt-action rifles, a basic turn-bolt action. I've come up with blueprints for a new design that isn't a turn bolt, instead utilizing a dropping lug action. I plan on making a dummy reciever out of aluminum for function testing than producing a steel receiver later for a actual firearm.
Thank all of you for your support and I guarantee that you won't be dissapointed in the end!

Kevin

Let me get this straight. Sunday at 6:00 you decided to utilize a full diameter bolt in your action which to my way of thinking would require significant changes to the design, as well as manufacturing methods utilized. Then by 17:00 sunday you were covered with chips and had been working on the action for 12 hours. Now, 3 days later, you have decided to scrap the bolt action and have already finished the blueprints for a completely new falling block action!?

Damn you work fast.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey what can I say, the wife's on deployment and I've got a crapload of time. Plus being in the Marine Corps and not having the demand as a gunsmith might, I do have enough time to sort out those kinds of things.

-Dr. Ski

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
quote:
Originally posted by The Metalsmith:

Kevin

Let me get this straight. Sunday at 6:00 you decided to utilize a full diameter bolt in your action which to my way of thinking would require significant changes to the design, as well as manufacturing methods utilized. Then by 17:00 sunday you were covered with chips and had been working on the action for 12 hours. Now, 3 days later, you have decided to scrap the bolt action and have already finished the blueprints for a completely new falling block action!?

Damn you work fast.

John

Or all of the other metalsmithis you have ever been in contact with have worked slow!!! Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
MetalSmith, I hope I didn't rain too much on your parade. Sometimes it's worth doing something just to say you did it yourself.
But it does sound like you might be on to something more creative and hopefully more fun! If I had my choice it would be either a Quality M-98 Mauser or M-70 Winchester clone that I could buy for less than $1000, M-70's and Mausers have also been done to death, but the good clones like Empire and Heins aren't under $2000.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote