THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can Old Shotgun w/Hard Mounted Choke Be Modified for Screw-in Chokes

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Old Shotgun w/Hard Mounted Choke Be Modified for Screw-in Chokes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Savage 20 gage pump that I purchased around 1965. It has the screw-turn integral choke.
Was wondering if that choke can be replaced by a set of screw-in chokes and approximately what should I expect to pay for the mod.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, it has to be cut off and threaded internally; it will depend on the thickness of your muzzle. Tru choke is the thinnest; Rem, Win, etc, require thicker barrels; cost; $100 to 200. Usually around 100.
Measure the O.D. of the barrel and then measure the O.D. of the tap. Subtract the O.D of the barrel from the tap and then divide by 2. This will give you the wall thickness after reaming.
For example; .850” barrel O.D. minus .814” tap O.D. equals .036”… Divide that by 2 and you get .018” wall thickness.

It is not recommended to perform this procedure where the wall thickness will result in less than .015”. Also, for a 12GA, you shouldn’t proceed in installing these chokes if the Inside Diameter exceeds .735” (.728” for thin wall chokes)

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy to do an outside measurement, but I would need to cut the old choke off to do an inside one. I don't have an inside mike that would reach the 8 inches past the old choke to get an inside measurement.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most shotguns will at least take a tru choke, and since you are cutting some off the muzzle, it gets thicker. I don't do chokes, but I am sure it will work. Unless the bore is already too big that is.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
If it's a polychoke, leave as is.....they are not pleasing to the eye, but work great.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give Briley a call, their thin wall chokes can go into some pretty thin barrels, and the cost is reasonable.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote