THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone know how to remove the cylinder from a Taurus .357 mag??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know how to remove the cylinder from a Taurus .357 mag??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted
I just sold this gun(new) and the customer came back after 1/2 box of Remington ammo with the cylinder bound up on the crane. It's very stiff. I tried to get some lube into it and that helped a bit, but still not workable. I really hate to send it off to Taurus for a 6-8 week visit. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get the cylinder off ! It looks like it may require a special tool for the nut/screw at the rear of the cylinder. Anyone know anything about this ?? Thanks.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
its been awhile since I have had one apart,
The ejector should screw out also the ejector rod with the knurl end will screw out the cylender should slide off.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hivelosity is correct. If they are like the S&W it is reverse threaded. There is a special tool made but sometimes you can get by with wrapping a piece of leather or similar substance around it before grabbing it with a pair of pliers.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
When in doubt, go to the manufacturers web site and down load the manual where there is a handy dandy exploded view which should clear up things. Starts on page 16

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/manual_revolver.pdf

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in the distant past I have experienced the same problem. The solution M16 proposed seems to me like the way I solved it. The thread is lefthand and if it backs out it will bind the cylinder. It doesn't take much to get it screwed back in far enough to free it up. Then you can take it apart fix it etc. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
The pistol is a 617 Stainless revolver . In the parts breakdown, #2 is listed as the cylinder retaining bushing. I think this needs to come off to remove it. With the ejector rod unscrewed and the extractor and other small parts (springs, pins,etc), the bushing still holds the cylinder in. The bushing has 2 slots in it, one on each side of center with a pin between them. I suppose I could make a special tool out of a cheap screwdriver but I just don't want to "booger" up the finish on the gun. Does this ring any bells now with anyone?? Thanks.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote