New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt handles moves upon firing-problem?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I noticed on my pre-64 Win 70 that the bolt handle raises up when I pull the trigger. Does that indicate that there is some kind of problem? I also noticed that the front guard screw is up into the bolt lug recess somewhat. I do not think that it is touching the bolt lug though because the bolt lug is not marred and when I unscrewed the screw the bolt handle still bounced up when I pulled the trigger. Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Rufous,

Were it me, I would trim the front guard screw to where it is flush with the inside surface, but in reality, provided it isn't making contact with the bolt lug, then you are probably ok.

With regards to the bolt handle moving, what happens, is that when the bolt is in battery, the cocking notch and striker groove, for whatever reason, are misaligned. Upon tripping the trigger, the striker moves forward in the groove and the two then move into alignment which results in the bolt handle lifting slightly as they align.

This is common in most weapons to one degree or another, but does not pose any safety concerns. In extreme cases, things can be done to reduce or eliminate the problem, but it is typically more of an annoyance than anything.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean it moves when you fire it or it moves when you dry-fire it? If it's dry-fire then fine. Lee-Enfields all have this "problem", and more severe, but they are still safe.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote