Find
Notify
Tools

Re-Annealing of Color-Case Hardened Steel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted
Hi guys, a friend needs to make changes to a color-case hardened bolt in a Mauser-98 rifle.
The bolt handle needs reshaping for use with a telescopic sight, but it is color-case hardened.
His gunsmith has said this would require re-annealing the steel, to get the correct new shape.
Is it safe to re-anneal the color-case hardened steel? Would it cause weakness in the long-run?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That shouldn't be a problem as the case is thin . Anneal ,bend, reharden with color.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Annealing and re color case hardening the bolt HANDLE will not effect the steel enough to worry about. Annealing the bolt and color case hardening it would concern me but as long as it is done by a reputable shop I would not be concerned that much. Now that said re case hardening the steel does create some issues as you just can not reverse case hardening Over carberizing the steel will degrade the steel. I would assume this to be it's second case hardening going on it's third time.

I think i would try taller mounts or something else before i would go to the extreme of fouling up a good color case job.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Annealing means to heat the material and let it cool slowly- this removes stress from the steel and also removes heat treating done prior.

Layman's guess- heating the handle enough to bend it will nullify the colors where the heat affects the bolt- it will ruin the finish as it exists.

Heating to forge or weld a bolt handle doesn't necessarily weaken the metal. Too, getting scope clearance on a bolt handle usually means replacing it by welding on a somewhat longer handle.

I've been wrong before.

Replace the whole bolt, keep the CC'd one aside.

quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
I think i would try taller mounts or something else before i would go to the extreme of fouling up a good color case job.

Aye tu2

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
Replace the whole bolt, keep the CC'd one aside.

Thanks! Two bolts would provide backup on safari, in case of bolt loss or broken firing pin.
The original bolt allows templating. Is it possible to make a second bolt easily and cheaply?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote