THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Wanted to Buy: Firearms Related Manufacturing Business

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted to Buy: Firearms Related Manufacturing Business
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We are looking for a firearms related manufacturing business to purchase. Areas of interest include, but not limited to, barrels, actions, stocks, scope mounts, sights, reloading dies, custom metal items, tooling, etc. If anyone has a lead on an available business, I would appreciate e-mail! Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the Express Rifle Co. that was going to make Magnum Mauser Actions...Teenut's old outfit?? I don't know who holds the right to the programs and machinery but could try to locate some info for you if you like.

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thought, I recall reading the threads. I think what ever was left is mired in brother-in law-clauses and unsatisfied buyers that lost deposits. I would be interested in what happened, if any prototypes were made, etc.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to ride by/call this week and see what I can find out!

I think you are right about the ending, but I know somebody, somewhere should have some of the info, blueprints...CNC designs/programs(whatever it is you use)somewhere.

I'll let you know ASAP!

Mike

P.S. I think it would be a lucrative business with someone who could make it happen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some action pics at the bottom of this set of pictures http://teenut.homestead.com/teenut.html

This was apparently Robert's home stuff, not the shop equipment at the actual Express Tool and Die I visited.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
Peter Noreen of Belgrade Mt. used to make an action and has gone to the aerospace industry. He has that business for sale with enough parts to put together around 35 actions if I remember. There are also some shapers in the deal and the CNC programming. It was a very nice action and was selling for around $2500.

Cliff LaBounty had some barrel making machines (Pratt and whitney, I believe) that he had shipped here from Ireland a few years ago. He was trying to sell that and a big pile of barrels. Dont know if he has as yet. He is in Maple Falls. Sorry I dont have his number handy.

chic

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Dakota Arms may be for sale as Don Allen has cancer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tasco

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from the Express Rifle Company because I was ripped off by Ellen Bastow and Matthew Smith of ERC after Robert Bastow died. All I got were empty promises and weasely behavior from them. It seems that someone spent my deposit and the principals of the company felt no obligation to stand behind their contract and either deliver the product or provide a refund. I also understand that there are other creditors in the same position as myself.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look into the Corbin business. If you could modify the Corbin machinery to make bonded core bullets, life would be sweet.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I have several good leads from members of this and other forums.

There are a lot of opportunities: Some are questionable, some are idle, some are debt ridden, and some are full of controversy. And, a lot of small one or two man operations exist. One part of the gun making industry has many businesses for sale, but they are hampered by a lack of market and trying to accomplish manufacture with substandard equipment. But, I have found a couple of "ringers" that we are taking a hard look at.

We are looking for a small business that employees or has the potential for 5 to 10 production workers, a manager and a office assistance. Either something now in operation or recently idled. We are not interested in a long and difficult start up phase or assuming something that has a lot of debt, poor customer relations or poor markets.

We prefer the Pacific NW for business location, but will relocate the "right" business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend you call Woody Woodall at Lothar Walther because he is wired in to the whole industry. He probably will have some good ideas.

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
John,

I understand that you do not want a long startup to a new business, but the reboring field seems very uncrowded at present. The waits involved for quality rebores would seem to indicate an opportunity for a new business to get going in a hurry. I realize that this is not a "manufacturing" business (maybe remanufacturing), but it is certainly an area of need. I have "several" jobs that I would be glad to send your way on startup [Wink] ,particularly if you might offer a few other services like installing express sights and rebluing the jobs you have in for rebore. Some of the forum members might even be interested in a small investment in a firearms related business.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I expect that John is looking for a manufacturing business where the output is product, i.e. making widgets vice providing skilled labor for what amounts to a service. If you are cranking out the widgets -- and if they are selling of course -- you have a multiplier effect on your design and development cost.

As a consultant most of my output is labor of the staff, so I am always looking for opportunities to sell product to get that multiplier.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As reprted to John the building looks long abandoned and nobody responded to the e-mail I sent for Express Tool and Die/Rifle Co. A shame for the people who lost money and the work spent programing the machines I saw while visiting prior to their demise...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim is correct. The idea is for bar stock to enter one end of a building, be processed, and emerge as a finished product in nice cardboard boxes to be loaded on the UPS trucks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey John how about making a three position safety for CZ 550's so those of us opposed to taking the safety off on loaded rounds to unload could start buying them?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
John, does this mean your not going to be taking on any new work for awhile. Was thinking about maybe sending my Mod. 70 Stainless 375 H&H to you in the near future.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote