THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Opinions/knowledge about Six Enterprises sporter wt. stock?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions/knowledge about Six Enterprises sporter wt. stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a Six Enterprises synthetic stock for sporter/hunting weight rifle. It was a spur of the moment "sight unseen" purchase. Evidently it's never been used/bedded. It's for a Ruger tang safety long action. Any feedback on what I've got myself into?

Thanks

[ 11-30-2003, 08:25: Message edited by: rogerinneb ]

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original Lee Six fiberglass stocks were one of the first of the breed. I believe Lee and Chet Brown were partners at the time when Brown Precision first started making stocks.
Six stocks were, in my opinion, better made and required less work to bed and finish than did the Browns. Since I bought my first Lee Six stock (in 1977)there has been a great deal of growth in the synthetic stock business but I would still be pretty happy with one of those stocks. He made good stuff.
Later on Lee started injection molding of stocks which he made for Remingtons and some others. I don't care for any of the injection molded stocks though they are a servicable handle. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the price, this one must be of the Injection Molded species. But hey, it's for my trusty .270 tang safety Ruger. I only keep it because I shot my first buck with it. It's a reliable 1.5-2 moa gun and has never let me down for deer season. I was going to float the barrel for kicks and giggles but when I saw this stock I thought I'd give it a try. Might be nice in heavy weather.

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I purchased two for my brother's two tang Rugers, one a .338 and the other an UL /06. I crossbolted the .338 Mag behind the lug and simply bedded the /06.

The /06 has cracked somewhere along the receiver (I haven't seen the rifle). The .338 Mag has not been shot nearly as much and shows no problem.

I suspect too much flex on recoil spread the sides. Or it may have been a void just under the surface. Yours might work just fine.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote